SUMMER BARBECUES

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: SUMMER BARBECUES

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Murf, I have a smoker. The fire box is in a seperate chamber from the cooking chamber. So when I do real barbecue, that's what I use. As I said before, I've had no problem with beef or turkey, but for some reason pork gets dried out to the point that it doesn't even taste good. On the smoker, I'v done babecued backon wrapped meat loaf, prim rib, pot roast and turkey. I even did a corned beef on it and it was great, but the last time I tried a rack of pork, it was like eating paper, it was so dry. On the other hand, when I do Rack of Pork in the oven or the crock pot, it's fabulous.

Mike

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:22 pm

iHaunt, my recipe for Barbecued Bacon Wrapped meat loaf is in the Halloween recipe's discussion board as my recipe for Prim Rib of Beef done on the barbecue. If you would like, I can e-mail you one, but you will need a smoker, or some kind of a barbeue with a fire chamber seperate from the cooking chamber.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 pm

When you say "rack of pork," are you talking about the ribs? Maybe you need to try a different cut of pork. I have forgotten what cut my husband used a few weeks back. I think it was some type of roast.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:38 am

Hey Mike! :D

I do love roasted beef, roasted turkey, roasted bbq, roasted jerky, etc. :) Please post some recipe links if u can. ;)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:44 am

A rack of pork is sotr of like a pork rib toast. The pork chops you get with that curved bon on them are usualy cut from the rack of pork. A rack of pork roast is all the pork chops left connected.

I have tried all kinds of different cuts of pork, even tender loin, and while I have had great success with the oven or crock pot, I have had no luck at all on the barbecue. I'm pretty much a feef person when it comes to cooking on the barbecue.

Mike

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:55 am

iHaunt, here is my receipe for barbecued prime rib of beef. You will need a smoker for this to be most effectiv, but indirect grilling may work. You can also do it in the oven if all else fails, but the smoker is usualy best.

You will need:

2 cloves of Garlic
1 small bottle of apple cyder vingar
1 10 pound Rib Roast

Meat Preperation:

Peal the garlic, and then cut each individual piece into quarters. Using a small knife, insert the garlic quarter into the roast bu cutting a slit. Do this until all the garlid is inbeaded in the roast. Take your vinigar and pour a little over the roast, and then for added flavor apply moderate ammount of cellery salt and garlic peper.

Barbecue Preperation:

Before you begin, place an aluminum pan under the grill inside the cooking chamber to catch all the meat drippings.

Using lump charcoal for best results, start a small fire in the fire box. Allow about 30 to 40 minutes for all the starter fluid to burn off.

Cooking Directions:

When the temperature inside the cooking chamber is between 200 and 125 degrees, place the roast directly on the grill over the drip pan under neath. Cooking time should take 9 to 12 hours, but the roast is done when the internatal temperature is 160 degrees. After about 4 hours of cooking, use a meat thermometer to check. Every hour or so, you will need to stoke the fire in the fire box. IMPORTANT, the temp inside the cooking chamber should not be lower then 200 degrees, and no hotter then 250 degrees. It may "peak out" at around 300 and it may drop out at 190 or so, but thas't normal. As long as your average is 200 to 250 , your roast should come out great.

Again, cooking time usualy takes about 10 hours give or take, but I have had it take as little as nine, and as long as 13. For added smokey flavor, you can start a wood fire in a seperate fire container, and then use a fire place shovel to shovel in hot coals into the fire box. Oak, Hickory or Maple and other hard woods are the best. NEVER use pine.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:30 pm

That recipe sounds great, Mike. I'm going to show it to my husband!

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:47 am

How about roasted beef or pork jerky, Mike?

Good?

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:32 am

Sorry iHaunt, but I know nothing about making jerky. I don't even like it, so I never bothered to learn how to make it. You might want to look on line. Not only are there some great recipes, but there are a number of food dehydrators out there that are great for making jerkey, or at least that's according to those who seem to like it.

Murf, if you follow the instructions, you can't go wrong. Beef is by nature jucier then pork IMHO, so that indirect gilling method you mentioned should work great. BUT, you must use a meat thermometer. I imagine your husband, being the barbecuer he is, already knows that, and has several in his barbecuing arsenol.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:45 am

Ok, thanks! Mike, I do love beef jerky! Also, I love to see if some people do like pork jerky?

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:19 pm

I used to make beef jerky in a dehydrator I used to have, it was okay but took forever to make
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"