THE BARBECUE PIT

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

THE BARBECUE PIT

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:38 pm

I know this isn't the Halloween Recipe page, but then this is the Summer page, and nothing says "Summer" louder then barbecue, so I thought I would start a brand new thread where we can post all of our favorite barbecue recipes, whether it's beef, pork, fish or what ever, it allways tastes better on the barbecue. Slow roasting an entire roast, or grilling up some burgers and dogs, if you have a special way of doing it, I would love to read it and give it a try, and since I am going to be retired, I am going to have some time on my hands.

Mike

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: THE BARBECUE PIT

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:45 pm

Now since I'm the one starting this thread, I thought I would post one of my personal favorite recipes, barbecued boneless rib eye roast.

INGREDIANTS:

10 Pound Rib Eye Roast (Boneless)
2 cloves of garlic
1 Small bottle of apple cider vinegar.

Fire up the barbecue. Lump charcoal tastes the best, but a good quality competition brand of briquettes will also do fine. I prefer Kingsford. While the barbecue is warming up and the starter fluid is burning off, you can prep the roast.

The instructions are quite simple. You peal and slice the garlic, then you take a steak knife, make incisions into your roast, and insert a slice of garlic into each incision. The more garlic the merrier. After the garlic treatment, pour a generous amount of the vinegar over the roast. Finally, apply a liberal amount of Celery Salt and black pepper.

Place the roast in the cooking chamber, making sure that the chamber doesn't get any hotter then 250 degrees and no cooler then 200 degrees. Roast for 10 to 12 hours, stoking the fire as needed. It is highly recommended you use a meat thermometer to determine the interior temp of your roast. 150 degrees is usualy pretty good, but you may prefer it a little more rare or well done. Follow the directions for beef on your meet thermometer.

NOTE: This only works if your barbecue has a separate fire box and coking chamber. IF you're using a standard Webber, you may want to consult a different recipe book.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Sounds delicious! My husband is the grill-master around here. I need to ask him for his recipe for grilled chicken. His is the best I've ever tasted. I know he indirect grills it (pushes all the coals to one side, grills the chicken on the other side, letting the fat drip into an aluminum foil "boat" he's prepared). Before he puts the chicken on the grill, he makes a simple rub of salt and cayenne pepper, not sure if there is anything else in there. There is also some kind of mayo sauce that is supposed to go with it, but most of the time my husband leaves that part out.

My husband also prefers Kingsford charcoal, but he has stopped using the lighter fluid. Instead, he uses those aluminum chimneys and stuffs them with newspaper for kindling. They work really well, and you don't get any of the taste of lighter fluid in your food.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:13 pm

That's a good tip, Murf. So far my only successes with barbecue have been beef. My pork, chicken, turkey and fish always ends up too dried out.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:13 pm

I'll probably just be using a regular ol' gas grill since that's what my neighbor/land lord will be giving us, but I may still try the recipe anyway Pumpkin Man. I have a little charcoal grill, but it's one of those fold up travel grills. My dad got it for me to replace this cheap throw away grill I had and something that wouldn't take up a lot of space.
Would you recommend overnight marinading?

Murf that chicken sounds delicious too! I'm glad this thread was posted, your recipes sound really good.

My stepdad found a recipe for Cornell chicken, maybe I can look it up and try it.

My stepdad usually would find anything laying around the house, Italian dressing, BBQ sauce, whichever and marinate chicken or pork in it and then throw it on the grill. He liked his chicken thighs, leg quarters and pork loin. I kind of prefer chicken breast myself, although however the fire dept and the Free Mason lodge did their chicken, I'd love to find out.

His beer battered fish was really good though. He did that over wood smoke. He took the top off an old grill, dug a hole in the ground and built his own wood smoker using that, and cooked a lot of steaks and fish on it. They were amazing. He doesn't have it anymore, but I believe he has a wood stove now he likes to cook things in. He's got that in his garage, and an old door grill as well. I can't remember if that included a smoker or not. Smoked meats are pretty good too though.

By the way, how do you guys like your meat? I'm a well done kind of person myself. I don't really like any red or pink. I can tolerate a little pink, but I prefer my meat brown and no longer "mooing" if you know what I mean.

Also does anyone ever do kabobs or grilled vegetables? I've done zuccuni on the grill before, and I know you can wrap corn on the cob in foil and cook that on the grill as well. Good stuff. I LOVE corn on the cob in the summer.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi MauEvig:

I prefer my meat medium well, but I don't like it dried out.

As for marinating your meat, I really couldn't advise, but I don't think it's necessary if it's slow roasted. I think, but I can't swear to it, that marinating is more for fast grilling then it is for slow roasting or barbecuing.

Speaking of fast grilling, I have another very simple recipe that tastes great. Bear boiled then grilled bratwurst. You simmer the brats in beer for about half an hour or so, then you take them out of the beer and grill them until a nice shade of brown. Meanwhile, you put sour kraut in the boiling beer. Serve on hot dog buns or hard "torpedo" type rolls with sour kraut, yellow mustard and raw onion.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Those beer brats with kraut sound so good!

I like my beef rare, just past mooing.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:06 pm

lol well I guess I should have been a scavenger since I like my meat dead as a door nail. Though I do like fresh meat. But some people at work say that they like their meat a little aged. I'm suspicious of this, because I thought you could get sick if the meat was aged for too long, and I am not sure if I'd dare it eat like that. They claim though that this is what they do in restaurants, and you pay a HUGE amount of money for a Steak at a restaurant.
I know the past couple times I cooked steaks I used a George Foreman grill, but it's convenient for indoors when it's cold out.
Also, I found out I love Country Bob's sauce. Good stuff there. I used to be into A1, but that was before I tried Country Bob's.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:56 am

I found out that my grocery store stocks bratwurst patties as well as links. I bet those would be fabulous on the grill.

As for aged meat, I've had it at restaurants on numerous occasions and I really can't taste the difference. If it's cooked properly, I'll like it.

My downfall when it comes to barbecuing is pork and turkey. I do NOT like pork to be anything close to rare, but I can't barbecue it without drying it out. When I do pork I usually cook it in the oven or the crock pot.

Michael

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Thu May 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Whether it is chopped (a shoulder is best for chopped) bar-b-q or ribs. You need a good dry rub to put on the meat first. Your coals have got to be perfect. That means they must be gray in color. NO black coal should be visible. Last but not least, they must be cooked 12 hours or more. If you ain't going to put your heart into it, then just go out and buy your bar-b-q already made.

Of course that is not the only thing you need to be cooking outdoors come summer. If you Yankees have never had a Low Country Boil, you don't know what you're missing.

Shrimp, crab, sausage, corn, potatoes cooked in pot of boiling water with just the right seasoning. After cooking you take the whole mess and dump them on newspaper that you have spread over some tables. Eat off the newspaper and when you're done you just roll up the paper and toss it in the trash.

Taste so good it'll make you want to sit in a corner and beg for buttermilk(that's a Southern saying. Only Murph knows what that means LOL!)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri May 02, 2014 11:29 am

:lol:

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri May 02, 2014 12:22 pm

That sounds really good, Kolchak, but like I said, I've never had any luck with pork or turkey. I've managed to grill up some pretty tasting chicken, but that's as far as my skills go with foul on the barbecue. My specialty is beef. I can do brisket, rib eye roast, prime rib, and even meatloaf. I also know how to grill hamburgers, bratwurst links and patties, steaks and the like, but the last time I tried to grill pork chips or ground pork paddies, I ended up with a burnt offering.

As for hot dogs, I would rather roast them on the end of a fork over an open wood fire then put them on the grill, when I'm in the mood for it. Otherwise, I like to steam them Chicago style and add celery salt.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 pm

Figured I'd revive this thread. My Step dad has made pork loin and chops before, and he's made all kinds of stuff on the grill. He kind of prefers the gas grill though, but one time he made smoked beer battered fish, and that stuff was amazing. He made his own smoker out of an old grill top and dug a hole in the ground with some wood. I think he used apple wood, might have been cherry. Good stuff.

One thing is for sure, poultry and pork are definitely things you want cooked thoroughly.

Hot Dogs are good in so many different ways, but a weenie roast over a bon fire is a lot of fun.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:59 am

My husband does most of our grilling, but on Sunday evening we ate at a barbecue place in Nashville called Martin's, on Belmont Blvd. My CA cousins were in town and asked to go there, as we'd all been there once before. I mention it because, if you like barbecue and are ever in Nashville, Martin's is the place to go. Ranked #1 in Nashville & #2 in the Southeast.