What was your first Halloween costume?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

What was your first Halloween costume?

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:43 pm

Do any of you remember what your first Halloween costume was?

I was 9 months old on my first Halloween and my mother dressed me as Superman, and she made me dress as Superman every year until I was 4 and old enough to choose my own costumes. I think my mother had a thing for Christopher Reeve. :D

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Re: What was your first Halloween costume?

Post by MacPhantom » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 pm

The first one I remember was one of those eighties "costume in a box" deals, with a plastic mask and plastic jumpsuit. I picked a werewolf, but for some reason it had a green werewolf mask with crazy red, curly clown hair. And, of course, a picture of a werewolf on the chest and the word "Werewolf" emblazoned on it. Just like Larry Talbot, or David Kessler, when they had transformed.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:50 pm

My earliest childhood memory of 'Trick or Treat,' was I was dressed up as a 'monster,' and my younger sister was a Gypsie.
A couple of years I was a devil, but my fondest ToT and Halloween memories were when I started making my own costumes. I may have told this story before, but one year, I found some old cardboard boxes, some unsuspecting pieces of cloths dryer exhaust hose and a few other 'do-dads,' and went out Trick or Treating as a robot. It was a pretty neat costume if I do say so myself, and I even won the costume contest at the park.

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:08 am

MacPhantom - When I was a kid everyone had those costumes, I only ever had 2 of them, the guy from Thundercats and a really crappy Spiderman. Most of the kids stopped wearing them by grade 2 when their taste in costumes improved.

Mike - That sounds like a awesome costume, I started to make my own costumes around age 9 and that year I went as a Ghostbuster, I made the proton pack, thrower with a flashlight built in to simulate the proton stream, and ghost trap by myself, as I got older my costumes got more elaborate but that's still one of my favorite costumes that I made.

I entered a few costume contests when I was a kid but I didn't ever win because they were always rigged. They would bring us into the library and we would walk around in a circle to show the principal the costumes and there was a girl that wore the same pirate costume every year and every year the principal chose her to win just because her parents contributed to the school, it wasn't fair to the other kids that actually worked on their costumes.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:30 am

MacPhantom wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 pm The first one I remember was one of those eighties "costume in a box" deals, with a plastic mask and plastic jumpsuit. I picked a werewolf, but for some reason it had a green werewolf mask with crazy red, curly clown hair. And, of course, a picture of a werewolf on the chest and the word "Werewolf" emblazoned on it. Just like Larry Talbot, or David Kessler, when they had transformed.
That makes me think of people who buy a Mercedes, then put a thickly chromed license plate frame inscribed with the brand name 'Mercedes' on it, just in case you can't read the name, 'Mercedes', on the rear of the car, so people are aware that you are in fact, driving a Mercedes.
:roll:
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:21 pm

I had a lot of fun making my own Halloween costumes when I was a kid. I went as a ghost when I was 9, the Frankenstein Monster when I was 10, the robot when I was 11, and a sailor when I was 12, but when I got into 7th Grade, I stopped ToT ing because I felt self conscience about it due to being 13 and a year behind in school. At any rate, Halloween continues to be my personal fav. Come to think of it, I don't think I actually even put on a costume for Halloween since I was 12. That was Halloween of 1972.

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:48 pm

Really? Aside from one year when I broke a couple of bones, I think I've dressed up in a costume every year for Halloween, even when I stopped trick-or-treating I would still dress up to go to Halloween parties when I was a teen and in my early twenties, and before I had a family I would dress up to hand out candy to the kids.

Of course, when I started my family I carried on the tradition and it's nice to have a wife that dresses up as well, we usually go as various famous couples, I think my favorite costumes we did together was Jack Skellington and Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas. I'll probably still dress as The Great Pumpkin until the kids are too old for it, but until then he will always make a appearance at our place.

I honestly can't imagine what Halloween would be like without costumes.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:29 pm

Well actually that wasn't 100% truthful of me to say. I don't make or put on any elaborate costumes, but I do put a pair of vampire fangs in my mouth, but for me it's all about seeing the 'show,' when the neighborhood children come to the door in their costumes. I loved putting on costumes when I ToT ed, and now I enjoy it from the other side of the door, with a loud record blasting out of my JBLs, and then later when ToT is over, some scary movies to celebrate the 'big day.' Of course, I usually have something decent to eat as part of the festivities, and a few of my neighbors come by for a bite to eat.

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:14 am

I'm not sure if it was the first costume I had ever wore but the first one that I remember wearing was a traditional ghost.

A sheet with holes cut out for the eyes, and I'm pretty sure that I was in kindergarten at the time.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:12 am

Andy - That's always a classic costume, when I was a kid there was always someone wearing it every year, but these days there aren't many people that do. It's funny, looking back I didn't ever go as a ghost for trick-or-treating, but I know for sure that I used to dress as a ghost and run around the house when I was very young, and I remember my mother getting mad at me for ruining the sheets.

Mike - I know what you mean, even before I had kids I always looked forward to the trick-or-treaters showing up with their costumes, it was fun to watch the next generation enjoy the holiday like I did growing up. I would always give out full sized candy bars for the best costumes that showed up, and we still do that to this day. As I said, I still wear a costume every year, and it's not just for my kids but for the trick-or-treaters that show up as well, I just love the look on their faces when I answer the door dressed as the Wolfman, Darth Vader, or their favorite super hero to give them candy.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:23 pm

I have a Charlie Brown outfit that i put together a while back, and it works because I shave my head any way.

I shave my goatee and draw a curly-cue on my forhead and voila; Charlie Brown.
Attachments
Good Grief-01.jpeg
Good Grief-01.jpeg (422.74 KiB) Viewed 10700 times

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:41 pm

I remember you posting a picture of the costume a couple of years ago, and it's still awesome! I like that you actually drew on the hair, that extra detail brings out the feel of the character.

By the way, I noticed the picture/painting in the top right corner, it's a very interesting piece, can you tell me more about it?

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:23 pm

That's a great Charlie Brown costume, Anay. I thought about doing something like that once when I was a kid, but my mom wouldn't let me shave my head.

HeadlessHorseman, I doubt my vampire fangs can hold a candle to your full costume, but it does catch a few of them off guard. One time a family with their dog came to the door, and the dog wouldn't walk up the stoop. At any rate, I have plenty of fun with music, movies and food.

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:12 am

I turned 40 last year and my hair is starting to thin out in the front so I might shave my head soon, on the plus side I can start thinking of some great new costumes like Charlie Brown, Mr. Clean, and Stone Cold Steve Austin just to name a few.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:57 am

I've always wanted to try Uncle Fester.

The picture on the wall is one of those plastic lenticular decorations that you can buy at Spirit or pretty much any place that has a good selection of Halloween items.