"LITTLE HALLOWEEN" IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!!

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

"LITTLE HALLOWEEN" IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!!

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:38 pm

Hi Folks:

As we enter mid July, it's time to start making some of our not so long term plans for August. Being that august is just a little over 2 weeks away, and being that the 13th of August falls on a Friday this year, I figured it was time to post my "Little Halloween" notice to the group. Be advised also, that August 13th is the ONLY "Little Halloween" we get this year, so let's plan it out and take advantage of it.

I am going to start the day off with Season One of "American Horror Story." It features 'Murder House,' and the trials and tribulations the family that moves into that house goes through. I probably won't get through the entire series today as I also want to screen a couple of the original "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th" movies as well. "The Car," and one of the original Universal Monster classics will likely be on the agenda, so I may only get through 2 or 3 eps of AMH on the 13th. Besides, I will need time for a few loud records, and to grill up some burgers, or maybe some bratwursts.

At any rate, I don't know about the rest of you, but I am going to MAKE A WHOLE DAY of it. I may even ask a few friends over for a sandwich and a record or two. But anyway Friday August 13th is just 4 weeks from today, so if you plan to participate, start planning it now.

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: "LITTLE HALLOWEEN" IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!!

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:57 pm

Thank you, Mike!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:11 pm

I hadn't heard about this tradition before coming here, but it looks like it could be fun for us to try. My wife is superstitious so she is usually cautious about things like ladders, umbrellas, black cats, Friday the 13th, and anything else that most people are superstitious about, but I'm not and I don't want my kids thinking that way so this looks like a good opportunity to show them not to be afraid and let them have some fun as well.

It sounds like you have a great day planned Mike, and you can't go wrong with the classics, "The Car" is a great movie that most people today usually don't remember or even know about, though the modern sequel was terrible.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:02 pm

I don't have any such superstitions, eithr. In fact, I LOVE black cats. I even had some GOOD LUCK after 3 black cats crossed my path when I was a young man. I won 400 dollars in the Pick 3 Illinois Lottery about an hour after that happen. Of course I tried to pick one of those cats up to pet it, but he or she was too quick for me.

As for "The Car," it's a personal fav of mine, much like a movie that came out around the same time frame. "Race With the Devil." The original "The Car"
was a classic in it's own right. I also have the remake, but I found it lacking, much as you did. It has some redeeming qualities, but all in all, it was too dark, too low key, too slow moving, and the story line was changed around way too much. A good story was ruined.

But keep us all on how your first "Little Halloween" goes.

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:20 pm

I know what you mean, I'm not superstitious in any way, I've always been drawn to the mysterious and creepy things that others steer away from, I was fascinated in why people fear such irrational things and I'm usually trying to explain to them it is just made up to scare them.

Both The Car and RWTD are great movies and they just reminded me of some other movies, Duel from the 70's and one of the stories in Nightmares from 1983, both of them are good road terror stories.

I'm not sure what we will be doing on that day yet, but there is still time to come up with something fun. I know the movies we watch will have to be more kid friendly, and by then a few places in our area will be selling some Halloween stuff so we might get some early shopping done. I'll be sure to let you know how the day goes.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:29 pm

I remember "Duel." I have that one on DVD. I also have "The Birds." The day after we saw that flick on television, my younger and sister and I were walking to school, and a flock of black birds flew over head. We were totally FREAKED, and we ran the rest of the way to school. As it turns out, a few other students also ran to school then they saw those birds. Of course, nothing happened.

As for Halloween shopping, I will probably do a little of that, too, depending on what the local thrift store has in stock. Some times I can find some real classic Halloween decorations there.

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:13 pm

I was in my teens the first time I saw The Birds so it didn't bother me that way, but I was only 5 when I saw Cujo and it really got to me because there was a house in the neighborhood that had a huge dog that always barked viciously when someone walked by, I was already scared of that dog but after I watched that movie I wouldn't even walk on that side of the street because I thought it would attack me.

I've been collecting Halloween decorations for years, classic and modern, I even have some stuff from before I was born. I would like to get more classic costumes and decorations but I haven't found anything old at the thrift stores and yard sales around here, just modern decorations. Most of the old stuff I have I got on ebay or etsy. I know there are stores online that sell reproduction decorations from the 60's, but I only want to get originals and unfortunately most of it didn't last this long.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 pm

I saw "Cujo" at the movie theatre when I was in college. It was a pretty scary story of how a family pet can turn into a vicious monster due to an illness. I also remember seeing a guy transform into a werewolf for the first time when I was about 8. It was on the classic original tv series "Dark Shadows." It scared the beejeebers out of me to no end and I was kept awake for a few nights after seeing that.

As for classic Halloween decorations, I agree. They are hard to find even in the thrift stores because they just didn't hold up, but sometimes I get lucky. What I would really LOVE to find are some classic Halloween themed movies and anthology type films that center around Halloween and October.

At any rate, "Little Halloween" is going to be a hoot.

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:12 pm

I told my kids about Little Halloween and they're really looking forward to it, my older girl in particular, she turns 7 next week, got exited when I told her that The Great Pumpkin might drop by on that day. I always dress up as The Great Pumpkin and bring presents for them on Halloween day. I just wear a black cloak and a full pumpkin head mask for the costume. I got the idea from a guy on youtube a few years ago, he's been doing it for years with his kids and he still does it now for his grandkids. I'm still coming up with more things for us to do, but I'm sure we will have fun on Little Halloween.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:19 pm

That sounds like fun for everyone. :)
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Andybev01 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:19 pm That sounds like fun for everyone. :)
It definitely is! The best part is watching their faces light up when I show up as The Great Pumpkin. I'm just glad they're still young enough to enjoy the holiday and believe in The Great Pumpkin, Santa, and any other holiday related character that I dress as for them. Believe me, I appreciate these moments, before I know it they will be teens and they won't want to talk to me.

I remember reading a interview years ago with Charles Schulz where he said that he created the character as a parody of Santa, and that he hoped the idea would have caught on and become a tradition with kids just like Santa but it didn't. What a shame, just think of what could have been.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:10 pm

I would actually like to REPLACE Santa Clause with The Great Pumpkin as I think Christmas has gotten too commercialized in the previous century. But then again, my most precious and wonderful child hood memories are of Christmas. When I was 7, Christmas was my favorite. It wasn't until I was a teenager that Halloween became my favorite.

O LOVE your idea of dressing up as 'The Great Pumpkin, HeadlessHorseman. I just might have taken a page from your book had I had kids of my own. but even without kids, I still plan to have lots of fun with horror movies, loud records and barbecue. Maybe I'll invite my niece and her little ones over for "Nightmare Before Christmas," but she might not be available, and Iy 2nd Covid shot is not until the 19th.

At any rate, I do plan to get some ToT sized candy to keep on the table. I also plan to play "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown' (both the movie AND the record album) as well as the record album from the movie "Halloween." My neighbors are probably going to think I flipped out, but then I'll simply invite them to share in the "Little Halloween" fun.

At any rate, with Covid dying down, no more election bickering in the media and in my family, and a spanking new VGI turn table to play records on, "Little Halloween" AND the 'big day' itself is going to be WORTHY OF CELEBRATION.

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:36 am

I wish we had someone that dressed up as The Great Pumpkin and Santa for us when we were young, but my parents just were not the type to dress up, the closest we got to Santa was a visit to the mall. I've been dressing up since Samara was born, and yes, we named her after the girl from The Ring, she was only a few months old on her first Halloween and I know she won't ever remember it but I can honestly say it was a moment that was special to us as parents.

It isn't ever too late to start a new tradition, so you could still dress up as The Great Pumpkin for your family. I recall in a recent post you made you said that you have a 2 year old nephew, so he's at the right age to get a kick out of it. I know it's not easy to gather family these days with the virus still out there, but if you get the chance you might want to give it a try, I'm sure the kids will love it and you'll have fun as well.

It looks like the Halloween shopping season began early this year, some places here had a small selection of stuff in June, and the dollar store already has some Halloween candy, including Reese's pumpkins, so I got a few bags for Little Halloween. We are going to have a party for the kids and play games and watch movies, and my neighbor and her 3 kids will be joining us, so it should be a fun day for everyone.

As for Christmas, it was always special for us as well, but I agree that it's too commercial and I think they tried to point that out with A Charlie Brown Christmas way back in 1965, and with the greedy media it just gets worse every year.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:55 am

I would love to do something like that for my young grand nephew, but as you pointed out, Covid is still an issue, and the new "Delta" variant it out there and there's lots of talk about masks and other restrictions going back into place. That could be mostly hype, but you never know. I got my first Moderna shot last Thursday. My 2nd shot is scheduled for the 19th of Aug. Babies are not supposed to get vaccinated until a certain age, and I don't want to expose my grand nieces and nephew to something, so I will be cooling my heals until after I get my 2nd shot.

I remember when I was a kid, I use to LOVE the 'spook house' that Mt Greenwood Park had every Halloween, and the local people had a fabulous way of presenting it. Also, when I got to be about 10 or so years old, I started 'creating' my own Halloween costumes. My 'crowning achievement' was the year I made a robot costume out of some old cardboard boxes, discarded cloths dryer exhaust hoses, some flash light bulbs and a battery. I actually won a prize for that one. The one constant, however, is that "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" was always a very much looked forward to part of the Halloween season, and even as a little tyke, I loved the 'Peanuts' tv specials every bit as much for the music as I did for the stories. I would have killed to have recordings of that music back in those days. A girl in my 3rd grad class could play the piano, and knew the "Charlie Brown Theme Song." I use to pay her a nickel to play it for me when ever we were around a piano, and everyone loved it, not just me.

As for Christmas time, again, back in those days, it was my favorite time of the year. That was when I believed in elves, reindeer, Santa Clause and all the other magical myths that surrounded that holiday. Now a days, the holiday is replace by the 'holly day,' and I will be happy this year to see the faces of my little grand nieces and nephew light up. Again, "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is a seasonal standard and I intend to play the DVD and the LP this year.

I can't wait to hear from you after your 'Little Halloween' shin-digs. Let me know how it went!

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:42 am

When it comes to family it's better to play it safe for now. Let's hope that by the time the holidays come around this year that families can be with each other again.
Pumpkin_Head wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:55 am A girl in my 3rd grad class could play the piano, and knew the "Charlie Brown Theme Song." I use to pay her a nickel to play it for me when ever we were around a piano, and everyone loved it, not just me.

This made me smile, I could just hear the tune playing while I read this. I know it's the moments like this that you look back on and it makes you remember the good old days.

I'll be sure to check back in, and I hope you have a great time on Little Halloween.