Yard Sale Skeleton - Turns out to be real thing!

Discussion of general Halloween topics
iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Yard Sale Skeleton - Turns out to be real thing!

Post by iHaunt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Yard sale skeleton turns out to be $3,000 real thing!

Link with the included Video... too bad they didn't get to keep it 'cause of some silly state law! :roll:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/l ... ing-100810

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Re: Yard Sale Skeleton - Turns out to be real thing!

Post by Spookymufu » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:27 pm

I hope they get the $3k.....
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:54 pm

I would have told a lot of people, but not the police. I would have put it in my own haunt yard. That way when people asked if I had a dead body right there I would say, Yes. :twisted:

Shadow_of_the_31st
Crypt Keeper

Post by Shadow_of_the_31st » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Good thing they didnt find a "fake" severed head at that yard sale :D
“this mark, although large, had been originally very indefinite; but, by slow degrees … assumed a rigorous distinctness of outline. It was now the representation of an object that I shudder to name … of the GALLOWS!”
The Black Cat
Edgar Allan Poe

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:25 pm

This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

Pumpkin King
Haunt Master

Post by Pumpkin King » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:46 pm

I tend to read about this type of thing often around Halloween. Sometimes, there are articles about Halloween decorations in carnivals that turn out to be real. Too bad the saying "Born a carny, die a carny" does extend to Be used, after death, as decoration.

Born a carny, die a carny. Be used, after death, as decoration. :lol:
Shadow_of_the_31st wrote:Good thing they didnt find a "fake" severed head at that yard sale :D
I was thinking the exact same thing while reading the article. :shock:

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Flickriver: Photos tagged with embalm

116 pixs, takes awhile to load....

www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/embalm/

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:23 pm

What most likely happened is some prankster stole it from a college or university anatomy classroom, and forgot he had it or was stuck with it because the college security people decided to come down really hard on who ever was caught with it. It probably got stored away and ultimately sold in a yard sale.

What bothers me about the whole thing is that people leave their human remains to science in order that they could be studied by medical students and the like. After the cadaber is no longer useful for disection, they usualy skin all the bones to be used in a classroom. The person who gave his or her body to science did not do so in order that some idiot could use him as a Halloween decoration. A cousen of mine left her body to science and if I heard that some moron stole her bones as a mindless prank, I would be pretty hot around the collor about it.

Hey, I love Halloween and the macabre as much as the next guy here, BUT there are SOME LINES YOU JUST DON'T CROSS. Stealing a human skeleton from a medical school is NO DIFFERENT then robbing a grave. There's no excuse for it, and it's the very reason why some people are getting it in their heads that the celebration of Halloween is "evil."

Mike

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:07 pm

I wouldn't steal one, but if I bought one for eight bucks, you better believe I'd keep it!!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:00 pm

The problem with that is that you would be depriving that deceased individual of his or her final wish. My cousen left her body to science, because she was a science teacher in life. Her skeliton will be stood before a class room in some anatomy or medical school after the cadaber is no longer useful. I would really REALLY hate to think that some one would buy her bones for 8 bucks and then keep them and use th em as a Halloween decoration. Her intention was to have her bodyu sed as a teaching tool, NOT to be misused by some mindless prankster as a Halloween decoration. I imagine that all others who donate their remains to science feel the same way. Their intention was for medical or biology students to learn about the human body, not to be displayed in some one's yard display.

Suppose some one robbed a skeliton from a grave? Now suppose that over the years he forgot about it, and the remains ended up sold in a yard sale. Better yet, what if it was your grand mother or some one who you cared about in life? Would you want to see her mortal remains in some one's Halloween display? I certainly wouldn't.

Mike

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:48 pm

The deceased one is done, gone, finished, non-existent, bye bye! The last thing I'm gonna do is try to figure out what an anonymous dead person (and dead for how many years...or decades??) would or wouldn't want. And the relatives who would be upset that granny's bones are in my yard haunt instead of a med lab? Well, they don't know it, so they can't get upset over it. If I bought a skeleton at a yard sale for eight bucks, there is no actual, tangible harm to anyone. Period. So I'm not gonna worry about who would be upset in theory if X or Y did or did not happen.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Take a deep breath...let it out.

Find a happy place in your mind and do not panic when I say; I agree with Mac.

I would so want to be part of someones Halloween celebrations for years or decades after I'm gone, than taking up overpriced real estate in a box under ground.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

ahambly@hotmail.com
Zombie

Post by ahambly@hotmail.com » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Andybev01 wrote:
I would so want to be part of someones Halloween celebrations for years or decades after I'm gone, than taking up overpriced real estate in a box under ground.
I agree... and whose to say this person wouldn't have wanted it this way.
Who said craxy isn't cut!!!!! Image

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:43 am

Well I gues we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but I will make a few more points here.

1. The deceased person made it very clear that he or she wanted their remains used to study the human body when they donated their body to science. Those who did not very clearly wanted to be burried in a cemetery. I suppose if you would actualy like your skelitol remains to be used as a Halloween decoration, you could leave them to Mac or some one who would go for something like that.

2. Maybe you guys wouldn't be upset, and maybe the relatives of the deceased in question didn't know, but they were betrayed none the less, and they would likely be VERY UPSET if they were to find out. I know I would be, and the reason is because the remains of my loved one is being disrespected, which brings me to my 3rd point.

3. The person who dies DOES NOT CEASE TO EXIST. I know some of you believe that happens, but I just can't. Sorry, but it goes against every fiber in my being. It also goes against every fiber in my being to disrespect the dead in such a manor, especialy when there are all kinds of plastic skelitons for sale that look exactly like the real thing. One of the "Corporal Acts of Mercy" is to burry the dead. Human remains are "temples" and should be treated as such.

So I am going to end it here, because the thought of that kind of disrespect does upset me. Don't get me wrong. I respect your right to your opinions, and I am not angry with any of you personaly, but YES IT DOES BOTHER ME to think of my cousen's remains being used as a Halloween yard display, and YES IT WOULD BOTHER ME if anyone's remains were to be disrespected in such a way.

End of rant and my last post on this topic.

Mike

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:22 pm

When the spirit leaves, the rest is just dead weight. Pun intended.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.