Outdoor sound?

Discussion of most anything about Halloween Electrics and Electronics. A place for questions, suggestions, help or just information about electronics!
iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Outdoor sound?

Post by iHaunt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 am

So, any thoughts on an outdoor sound system? Speakers to use? Running cables?

Any suggestions would be a help at this point?

Thanks.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Re: Outdoor sound?

Post by Spookymufu » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:25 am

I just use an iPod and a boom box
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:41 pm

I've saved pretty much every speaker from every old stereo and boombox I've ever had, and I have an old stereo system that I keep in the basement and pull out for Halloween. I rig up the speakers the day of Halloween, different locations every year, and just wind a bit of electrical tape over the connections so it's easy to take apart again. I like to hide speakers under bushes and trees out in the yard, so you can hear the music as soon as you get near the property, but you have to be careful if people go walking through the yard that they don't trip on any wires.

Ouizul1
Ghost

Post by Ouizul1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Our haunt is outdoors and wraps around the entire house (half acre lot). The approach is up the driveway, so we have a stereo system pumping out spooky Halloween music to set the mood.

Throughout the rest of haunt we have several small systems built from powered computer speakers and $10 mp3 players. The computer speakers were purchased from a used computer store for $5-10 a set. I cut the wallwart away from the power plug and replaced it with a 9 vdc battery clip which allows them to be placed just about anywhere. Painting the speakers black makes them pretty easy to hide behind tombstones, under bushes, or behind/up in trees. These small systems play sound tracks of random noises such as rattling chains, dogs barking, distant thunder, screams, boinging springs, loon calls, laughs, giggles, and such. The sounds are usually spaced about 5-10 seconds apart and alternate between the left and right channels.

We tune/tweak each system's sound track to match the area of the yard it's in. For example, the graveyard is biased towards screams, moans, rattling chains, digging sounds, and such while around the pond different splashing sounds are mixed in.

Works pretty good. We get a lot of good comments about the sounds.
Chivalry is NOT dead...but I'm working on it.

metallica_87
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by metallica_87 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 pm

iHaunt wrote:So, any thoughts on an outdoor sound system? Speakers to use? Running cables?

Any suggestions would be a help at this point?

Thanks.

Easiest way is to buy a cheaper (they rage from $50 bucks to $100 for lower models found anywhere from a local drugstore to Wal-mart/K-mart) home theater system and plug it in outdoors on the porch if you have a receptacle there, and spread out the speakers according to where you need the sound. Be sure to by one or two extra rolls of speaker wire incase you need to extend them further than the default length. Put your spooky sounds CD/DVD in, and control by the remote.

screamfarm
Ghost

Post by screamfarm » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Our corn maze is going to be wireless when we open it in 2016 here in Indiana. We use http://hallowscreamshauntedfarm.webs.co ... ow/3999385 to produce the sound off a sd or usb drive, add a speaker from goodwill for about $2.99 and a case from Lowes like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_70972-223-B118A ... facetInfo= for $0.25 cents each and you got a safe casing for your player and battery pack, and you use less wires overall.

We are adding this to our corn maze as well as indoor scenes for our farmhouse and 3d haunts too to help keep it as wireless as possible. Sure, a lot of battery use but I would rather take my chances with this setup then have miles of wire everywhere that people could trip on.

Hope this helps. Message me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Will

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:15 pm

My buddy has bluetooth wireless speakers that he hooks up to his iPhone. Says it sounds awesome. He didn't say how much he paid for it but maybe you can find something similar, and cheap, to go even more wireless?