Meringue

Got a good recipe? Share it here!
ScarecrowJack
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Meringue

Post by ScarecrowJack » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 pm

I really like the look of meringue bone cookies. I've made them a few times and find meringue a really challenge to work with. Does anybody have any secrets or tips for working with it? Does a regular piping bag work better than a plastic storage bag with the tip cut off? Any suggestions for minimizing the mess? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
We're the farmer's scarecrows
We scare away the birds,
We keep the farmer's corn safe
Without any words.
But when Halloween comes
We jump out of the ground
And we scare the boys and girls
When they come walking 'round.

whatsername90
Crypt Keeper

Re: Meringue

Post by whatsername90 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:34 pm

I tried making those one year but my meringue wouldn't stand up. Wound up making bones out of melted white chocolate instead. But a few months later I had success making meringue for a pie and as long as you use a really cold metal bowl and hand/stand mixer and everything is extremely clean before hand you should be fine. I haven't used cream of tarter which everyone swears by, but it came out fine for the pie, just not for the bones when I tried it. Also make sure there is not yellow at all mixed in with the whites of your eggs, which is kind of obvious lol. Sorry if I wasn't a help, but the very cold metal bowl and whisk attachments is how it worked for me, same with whipped cream. I'd love to see how yours came out!

ScarecrowJack
Haunt Master

Post by ScarecrowJack » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give it a try.
We're the farmer's scarecrows
We scare away the birds,
We keep the farmer's corn safe
Without any words.
But when Halloween comes
We jump out of the ground
And we scare the boys and girls
When they come walking 'round.

metallica_87
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by metallica_87 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Yup. Cold metal helps to set the meringue. Also, watch how much sugar your put in it. The more you add, the harder it gets. If you want softer meringue, beat until the the peaks slightly curl. If you want firmer meringue, beat until the peaks stay straight, and don't curl over. Lastly, no breaks. Any breaks will will let it never set up. Also, to check how much sugar is in it, for consistency, rub some of it between your fingers. Of it's grainy, beat it for a few more minutes. should be completely smooth.

It's done when you can hold a spoon upside down, without any dripping or falling off.