How do you make Jell-O opaque?

Got a good recipe? Share it here!
kimquigley
Ghost

How do you make Jell-O opaque?

Post by kimquigley » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:58 pm

I bought a $2 brain mold at Wal-Mart and regular Jell-O. I boiled one cup of water then added one cup of cold milk instead of cold water because I read somewhere that milk would make the jell-o opaque. Unfortunately, the Jell-O separated so that it was half clear and half opaque. Does anyone know how to make opaque Jell-O? Thanks!

Stranger with candy
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Stranger with candy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:52 am

last year I just used pink jello and it turned out cute. This year I picked up a Pina Colada jello, it's a creamish white, very opaque. I plan to mix it with pink. Maybe try that?

kallie0509

Post by kallie0509 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:15 am

just last night, alton brown was making an opaque brain jello-mold on good eats. he was actually making it some kind of italian cream jello, but i can tell that he used jello packets and milk instead of water.

ghostess
Master Reaper

Re: How do you make Jell-O opaque?

Post by ghostess » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:52 am

I know this is late, but it still may help someone else with that problem. Using evaporated milk or skim milk is best for these recipes. Whole milk, 2% and 1% milk have a tendency to separate and you get less than favorable results. Also, you still need that cup of cold water to cool the Jell-o mix down some so that when you add the milk it doesn't curdle. The best recipe I've used so far is the one from goblinville.

http://www.goblinville.com/pages/recipes/brain-mold.htm

I use strawberry and orange Jell-o for mine, I've found nobody likes the taste of watermelon or peach Jell-o. Adding green food coloring one drop at a time can change the color to a nice greyish-pink.

This is the one I made from 2002:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:25 pm

Hi ghostess
Thanks for the directions I know I will use it this year it looks aweful just the way it should. Thanks again, Witchy

Hallow's Queen
Haunt Master

Post by Hallow's Queen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:50 pm

ohhh very nice turn out... i may have to add that to my menu this year, yum!
H a l l o w ' s Q u e e n

Image Image

OctoberChill
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by OctoberChill » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:05 pm

Beautiful mold! I'm adding it to the list of things to make this year. I literally have a list. I write down all the good ideas you guys give.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:31 pm

...hide it in a dark cabinet?
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

waleeed1
Ghost

Post by waleeed1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:46 am

Also, you still need that cup of cold water to cool the Jell-o mix down some so that when you add the milk it doesn't curdle. The best recipe I've used so far is the one from goblinville.

jimdkc
Ghost

Post by jimdkc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Best way I've found to make opaque Jell-O is to use the "Creamy Jigglers" recipe, which calls for Jell-O plus Instant Pudding. (It tastes really good, too!)

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/eas ... 74806.aspx

Hint: Vanilla pudding is OK for colors that already have a yellow component (greens, oranges, yellows) but will turn blues greenish and reds orangish. For colors I don't want to add yellow to (blues, purples, reds) I use White Chocolate flavored pudding.

I once used Peach Jell-O with White Chocolate pudding with a brain-shaped Jell-o mold. I then drizzled the result with the syrup from a can of peaches that I had dyed red with food coloring. The bits of fiber and peach in the syrup added beautifully to the gore effect!