Fake, edible blood?

Got a good recipe? Share it here!
SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Fake, edible blood?

Post by SpookShowBaby » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:42 am

I need to find a really good recipe for this year's zombie pub crawl. I have tried several recipes in the past for various costumes and they don't have the right consistency or end up being too sticky (as with corn syrup). Any suggestions?
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Belladonna
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Fake, edible blood?

Post by Belladonna » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Just posting this because it looked like a cool idea. :)
I would think you could adjust the amount to your needs.

Buckets o' Blood 2

This is great for the 'hands-on' type of blood, and (from what I hear) also works well in bath-tub sized proportions.

1 package plain gelatin or 1 package red colored JellO
2 bottle red food coloring (especially if using plain gelatin)
1 tbsp green food coloring
1 - 5 gallons of water (depending on desired consistancy)
Directions are simple: Follow the instructions on the side of the jello package, but double or quadruple the amount of water needed, and don't add any sugar. Doubling the water gives you a very slimy, gloopy jello which doesn't look a lot like blood, but can be fun to get kids to stick their hands into at hallowe'en parties. If you use 5 gallons of water, you're going to have quite a thin runny blood, great for pouring over bloodied bodies in bathtubs or splashing on walls (especially if you can hose down the walls after - I wouldn't recommend this in your livingroom or parent's bedroom). You can play around with the recipe to get the desired consistancy - gelatin is reasonably cheap and available in almost any grocery store.
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Also, be sure to check out at Google online. www.google.com
;)

metallica_87
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by metallica_87 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Easiest way to do this, and its the way I do it, is just grab 1 or 2 things of Karo Sugar Syrup (White and more or less depending on how much you need to make/will need to use), red food coloring, and any sort of flavoring you you'd like (Any clear liquid such as apple, grape, peach or pineapple juice, or Soda like Sprite, 7up, Fresca, Schepps, or Sierra Mist or spices like pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, or even vanilla or chocolate extract).

In a medium to large pot, mix the Karo sugar with 1/2 to a full cup of water, and bring to a simmer. Add the food coloring to the water and sugar mix, then add your flavoring. Mix, but make sure that it does not boil. heat for 20 mins while stirring, then remove from heat and pour into bowl (make sure its in another bowl with ice and water as a barrier). When cooled, transfer to any container thats available and clean. I use empty, leftover and disinfected water bottles for storage.

mfitzp
Ghost

Post by mfitzp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:02 pm

On our site we have a recipe for an edible Haunted Human Heart, which uses the following mix for the blood:

1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup raspberry syrup drink flavoring
1 Tbsp raspberry liqueur (optional)
1 drop blue food coloring

Nice and easy, and looks good - the blueish hint takes of the fake-bright-redness.