Halloween Cookie help

Got a good recipe? Share it here!
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Halloween Cookie help

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 am

Does anyone have any cookie baking tips? I do pretty well at baking cakes, but cookies tend to be my nemesis (unless we're talking about break and bake). I saw on the Wilton website a recipe and decorating instructions for witch finger cookies and I'd like to give them a try. However, in the past when I've tried to make halloween cookies with cookie cutters, they always turn out messed up--they lose their shape while they're baking. Just curious if anyone out there could offer any pointers...

Thank you! :D

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Re: Halloween Cookie help

Post by NeverMore » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Sorry. I'm only good at eating cookies, not making. You may find some more recipes that interest you on my pin site, under Food and Drink. Just added Pumpkin Flower Soup yesterday. Got lots of pumpkin flowers lately.

http://pinterest.com/nevermoreboo/

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Pumpkin, you are too funny! Bake and break made me chuckle loudly. LOL!

Sorry, I can't help, I'm not much of a baker.

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Now that you've mentiond it, this past Halloween, I purchased some cookie cutters from Wilton myself!!!! I guess we'll both be needing tips! :lol:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:50 am

Sorry, I'm no help, either. I have some Halloween cookie cutters and have occasionally baked the cookies, just standard cookies with butter & sugar, you know. I wasn't a perfectionist about it. Some of them turned out, some didn't do so well. We ate them all.

A year or so back I made a Halloween trifle that the kids loved. I'll have to find that recipe again. I remember it used chocolate pudding and Cool Whip and broken up Heath bars. There must have been some chocolate cake in there, too.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Well, I am no culinary artist when it comes to baking cookies, but on the few ocassions I do, I usualy go with the tubes of Pillsberry pre made cookie dough. Some times I even eat the dough raw. ( I know, it's gross, but I love raw cookie dough) Anyway, there are all kinds of real cheap halloween cookie cutters out there, and the retalers should have them on their shelvs pretty soon.

My sister in law, on the other hand, makes her cookies from scratch. She doesn't make Halloween cookies, but she makes some of the most scrumptious Christmas cookies I ever ate.

Mike

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 am

I think my biggest hurdle with cookies isn't so much making them, but more shaping them. I have quite a few cookie cutters but I always have a hell of a time with them. Maybe it's a thickness issue--the times I have used cookie cutters, my cookies either come out way too thin (and often burn) or they've been cut so thick that they lose their shape in the oven. Anyone have any idea how thick the cookie dough should be when it's rolled out?

jillsifer
Ghost

Post by jillsifer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:38 pm

I like to make them on the thicker-ish side, maybe about 1/4" thick.

If you like, I have a pretty foolproof recipe that I'd be happy to share.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:17 pm

That would be lovely, thank you :)

I'm practicing on my cookie baking so any help is appreciated and welcome!

metallica_87
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by metallica_87 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm a long time baker by hobby, as taught by my mother, who is also a very good baker.

I have some tips AND a recipe for you. First, NEVER cook them for as long as it says on the package/recipe book. 7-8 minutes is the most you wanna cook them, as remember, they will continue to cook through while cooling on the hot pan, and in the container you choose to place them in for keeping until they've cooled. Also, if you find them loosing shape, then you've not used the correct amount of flour, or over-saturated the batter. This causes it to become more cake batter like, and will cause overflow, which will run, and misshape them.

If your having problem with size, I suggest instead of hand shaping them, scoop them out using an ice cream scoop (What I do) or roll out the dough into a log, four, wrap in cellophane and let harden in fridge for a half hour. Take them out after that time, and cut the cookies off the log as thick as you need.

Here MY recipe that I make. You can add anything you like, or use this as a base for other styles of cookie.

5 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar (1 cup light brown, 1 cup regular)
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
2 Eggs
1/4 Cup Milk
1 Cup Oil
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix dry material thoroughly, and in a measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk oil and vanilla. Add the wet to the dry and mix well with your hands. Scoop out onto cookie sheet with an ice cream scoop or roll into log, coat with four and chill in fridge for a half hour to harden. Remove after half hour, and cut cookies off of the log. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Let cool.

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:18 am

metallica_87 wrote:I'm a long time baker by hobby, as taught by my mother, who is also a very good baker.

I have some tips AND a recipe for you. First, NEVER cook them for as long as it says on the package/recipe book. 7-8 minutes is the most you wanna cook them, as remember, they will continue to cook through while cooling on the hot pan, and in the container you choose to place them in for keeping until they've cooled. Also, if you find them loosing shape, then you've not used the correct amount of flour, or over-saturated the batter. This causes it to become more cake batter like, and will cause overflow, which will run, and misshape them.

If your having problem with size, I suggest instead of hand shaping them, scoop them out using an ice cream scoop (What I do) or roll out the dough into a log, four, wrap in cellophane and let harden in fridge for a half hour. Take them out after that time, and cut the cookies off the log as thick as you need.

Here MY recipe that I make. You can add anything you like, or use this as a base for other styles of cookie.

5 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar (1 cup light brown, 1 cup regular)
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
2 Eggs
1/4 Cup Milk
1 Cup Oil
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix dry material thoroughly, and in a measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk oil and vanilla. Add the wet to the dry and mix well with your hands. Scoop out onto cookie sheet with an ice cream scoop or roll into log, coat with four and chill in fridge for a half hour to harden. Remove after half hour, and cut cookies off of the log. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Let cool.
I'm not a baker, by all means. Last year I bought some halloween cookie cutters and I plan to make some this year. Thank you for the tip! I'll let you know how they turn out.
I'm sure pumpkin 56, will be just as greatful! :)

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Nice!! I will have to try this as well!! 8)