Spookymufu
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Valentines Decorations and Candy

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Maybe if you live alone mike or it's just you a wife and a kid, but for my family of 6, it's one meal fixins, there might, and I say might, be some left over for one of us for lunch, but thats about it...
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:34 am

If I had a wife and four kids to feed, it would be porridge for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Hehe!
Valentine's is a sham of a holiday, but it is one step closer to Spring!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 pm

I agree with Bella. All of those roses get me thinkin' about how soon the live ones will start making an appearance.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:17 pm

Ohhh I can't wait till some of my flowers start blooming!!! :wink:

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:54 pm

I agree with you, Spooky. When I was a kid, my mom allways prepared a heart shaped devils food cake with red frosting for desert. My older brother would give both my older and younger sister a box of candy, and we allways handed out valentines at school. But I do live alone, and other then a greeting card from my oldest niece and a few "Charlie Brown" valentines day cartoons, I just don't observe the day. Besides, this Valentines day, I have a photo op. I'm going to make 8 hours pay for a photo shoot that will very likely not even take 45 minutes.

For the record, I do not hate Valentines day, and if I had a girlfriend or a wife, I would probably make a bigger deal of it, beint the TRADITIONALIST that I am, but all in all, it's just not high up there on my priorities list. BUT, as sone one else posted, it is a step closer to spring.

Mike

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:07 pm

my post was mainly an in general sort of thing, like everyday meals.....about the only thing my wife and I do for Valentines day is exchange cards, maybe buy something small for each other and have a romantic evening..
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:32 am

Belladonna wrote:Hehe!
Valentine's is a sham of a holiday, but it is one step closer to Spring!
Being an English lit type, I learned in Chaucer class that Valentine's Day was regarded as the first day of spring in medieval England. There was a tradition that the birds chose their mates on that day. Chaucer even wrote a poem about it, The Parliament of Fowls--though of course it has a lot of hidden political satire, with the different birds representing different social classes and political figures of the day.

Here in TN, spring will be showing up by late Feb. We'll have daffodils in bloom all over the place by then.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Spooky, there's nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, that's what a lot of married couples do. Some make a bigger de3al of Valentines day then others. Primarily young couples who are dating but not necessarily married tend to spend more time and mondy upholding Valentines Day tradition, but a lot of older married couples will, as you and your wife do, exchange cards or little keep-sakes that are more about the thought then about the price of the gift and be done with it. For my parents, God rest their souls, Valentines day was as much about the family as it was about their romantic attraction to each other. That's why my mom would prepare a heart shaped cake. After dinner and desert, one of the tv networks allwayes had a Charlie Brown Valentines day special, and we would all watch it together as a family. It was fun, but it was not a major league, get all excfited, just can wait untio...... type of a day.

Now a days, if I even remember Valentines day when Feb 14th actualy gets here, it's a miracle. I will screen my Valentines Day Charlie Brown DVDs in February, but not necessarily on the 14th. This year, especialy, I am going to raking in some major dineros on Feb 14th, so it is going to be a very plesent Valentines Day for me, but not for the same reasons as it would be for some one else.

Mike

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Well, I can't quite say that Valentine's Day is a sham. It is my mom's birthday after all. I don't really celebrate VD (the day not the disease) though outside of that since I have never had anyone else to buy or give anything to as I have not ever been on anything that could loosely be called a date. Yes, it is sad as I am now 40.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:32 pm

Boogyman, I'm almost 50. I've dated a few women in my day, but I have never met the right one, and I doube I ever will. Besides, I really have no desire to marry or have kids at this late date. I might even be retiring from my job in 5 years.

Valentiens Day, at my age, is at most, a Valentines Day episode of "Charlie Brown."

Mike

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 am

Cool Valentine

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Glad you pop in wolf girl!! Cute Valentine's card too!! :D

Happy Valentines Day early!!!

Attachments
Pete-Hawley-1.jpg
Pete-Hawley-1.jpg (103.79 KiB) Viewed 19921 times

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:25 pm

Haha great card! :lol:
Good to see you too, Broom-rider! lol And a Happy Valentine's to you and your hubby, too. :D

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:04 pm

I like that card, too. Maybe an orange heart instead of a red one to mix in a little Halloween with Valentines Day.

Mike