Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Valentines Candy Display

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Well, Valentines Day, for me is just an excuse to watch Charlie Brown cartoons, but evidently it's a big deal in my town. Both Parmidia and my local grocery store has two shelvs of Valentines candy, heart shaped peanut butter cups and a whole host of other things, and they can't keep the shelvs stocked.

It's only the 16th of January, to boot. As usual, I'll probably spend the day watching Peanuts cartoons and reminiscing about my chilehood Valentines Days when my mom u se to bakd us a heart shaped cake, and we would pass out Valentines at school to all of our class mates.

I'll also remember some of the huge crushes I had on girls in later years and how that affected me on Vallentines day. But I can do without the little candy hearts.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Valentines Candy Display

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm not really into Valentine's Day, either, though I will most likely do something slightly special for my family, like making chocolate covered strawberries. I am sort of glad I no longer have to buy those boxes of Valentine's for the kids to give out at school. I usually ended up organizing that myself--if not actually writing the cards, at least making sure that each child had one inscribed for every person in his/her class. More of a bother than a pleasure for me. And then there was the year when I bought Wizard of Oz cards for my daughter's pre-school, and there weren't enough cards in the box to give out to everyone without giving someone the Wicked Witch. So I arbitrarily gave the witch card to a little boy, and he cried about it.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 am

When I was a kid I actualy would have liked the Wicked Witch. I was wierd that way. For instance, we had a board game based on a Saturday Morning cartoon about a crazy car race. In the show I'm refereing to and the game, you had all these crazy cars, like the Arkansas Chuck-a-Bug, you had Peonelopie Pit Stop, and various others, but my personal fav was Dick Dastardly and the 00. (Double 0) I ALLWAYD wanted to be Dick Dastardly, and the other kids usualy obliged me. The funny thing, is every time I was Dick Dastardly, I allways won that game. When I was any other character, I allways lost. Go figure.

As for handing out valentines, it was part of our lesson to write them out ourselvs. We had to make sure we hae everyone's name spelled correctly, and we had to write all the names on a sheet of paper before we wrote them on the cards, and the teacher would check our spelling. Then for homework, we would go home and fill out the vallentines, and then pass them out on Valentines Day. My favorite part of Valentines Day at that age, however, was the Charlie Brown cartoons. Of course, I did have crushes on various girls over the years, which allways made Velentines Day a little special back then. Now a days, it's more a time of memories, though.

Mike

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am

Ew I hate that heart shaped message candy too! Actually to be honest, I don't care for Valentines Day candy at all. Or Easter candy for that matter. For some reason they taste odd to me. I know it's the same stuff you buy during the rest of the year, but to me, something's off about it :?

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:39 pm

The little candy hearts have never tasted very good to me, but I suppose I'd miss them if they stopped making them. They are so much a part of the holiday now. Of course, I am unlikely to see them now that my kids have outgrown the school Valentine's parties.

I don't mind the boxed hearts of chocolate, but I suppose the quality of them varies greatly, depending on what brand you buy.

You know, what I really love about Valentine's Day is that it is close to spring. I love to fantasize about gardening, maybe buy a few seedlings or potted plants, around that time.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Hey I know what I'll do: If I'm in the mood for something sweet, I'll just bake some little skull cupcakes and give them heart shaped eyes :roll:

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:Hey I know what I'll do: If I'm in the mood for something sweet, I'll just bake some little skull cupcakes and give them heart shaped eyes :roll:

Were is the like button? :alien:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Wasn't there someone around here, two or three years back, who had a little skeleton in his yard, and he dressed him up for every holiday of the year? He showed us pictures, and I thought it was very amusing. I remembered that when you started talking about skull cupcakes with heart-shaped eyes, Pumpkin.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:09 pm

I don't remember that, Murf, but it sounds amusing. I also like the idea about heart shaped eyes on a skull cup cake, too.

As for those candy hearts, YUCK. There are some easter candies I like, but others that I don't. BRACHS makes some great Malted Milk Ball Easter Eggs.

Mike