Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Anyone do anything special for St Patty's day?

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm getting really excited about Saturday. My St. Patrick's Day party my favorite party of the year. I also have my nephew and grand nieces and nephew over for Halloween ToT. They go out ToTing during the day, and then we watch a monster movie and have something to eat after words. When they go home I go for my Halloween Midnight Motorcycle Ride.

But my St. Pats party is my biggest event at my house, and my Tree Trimming party is my number 2.

Mike

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm going out with my 22 year old daughter, all of her friends bailed so I told I'd go out with her tonight!!

johnsoneliza52
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by johnsoneliza52 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Well, we had a few friends stop by. My dinner turned out fabulous...corned beef, cabbage, soda bread and boxty cakes. And someone 'overserved' me. Dammit! Am not feeling the best today!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:22 pm

I had my St. Patrick's Day party last Saturday and it was a ROUSING success. My little ones really loved the meal and the special St. Patrick's Day mint Oreo Cookies, and I even let my nephew take my Harley for a spin. Temps were in the low 80s, and the barbecued Corned Beef turned out fabulous.

We played Irish music, and my brother brought me a 3 DC set of some of the more traditional Isirh songs. A great time was pretty much had by all, and I am definately going to do this next year. I love it when the actual March 17th St. Patty's Day falls on a Saturday.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:08 am

Glad you had such a good time, MIke!

My husband gets paid on the 20th, and this year we were a little tight with the money prior to payday. I was worried we couldn't do anything special for the meal, but we ended up having a very pleasing one. We had pan-fried pork chops, boiled baby carrots, and a dish called "herbed Irish potatoes." I had never made those before. They were simple, but so good! We are going to have to have them again, soon. (Irish potatoes, cut into one-inch pieces and boiled with the skin on. Then tossed in a sauce of melted butter, lemon juice, dill, and parsley. So good!) I'm not sure if the Irish eat much pork, but I think the root vegetables--potatoes & carrots--were right for the occasion.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Actualy, the traditional meal in Ireland for St. Patrick's Day is some kind of pork, but I don't know what it is. Irish imigrants learned to eat corned beef from the Jewish people, and here in the U S it became the traditional St. Patrick's Day celebration.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:06 pm

My grandma would like to fix corned beef and cabbage, but a much more simple way to have a St Patty's day meal I think would be to have a corned beef Reuben. Those are really good!
So I decided that my tradition is to dress in green and have a reuben, and if I'm lucky enough to catch Mcdonalds when they have their Shamrock shakes I grab one of those.

Back when I was a kid though, I used to think St Patty's was all about eating stuff that was green. I think they gave us pistachio pudding if I remember right, or you could have Mint Chocolate chip ice cream.

I remember you were supposed to dress in green, but I didn't know you got pinched if you didn't until much later.

But I heard if you wore orange...you'd get beat up. I'm not sure how true that is though. O.o;

Perhaps just having a "green meal" could be a substitute for some people who don't like cabbage and corned beef. Just think of anything that's green, like a green cake (with food coloring, not cake that's gone bad!) or ice cream and serve that. XD Maybe some spinach, in Murf's case if they like mexican food, make green tacos. I bet there's a way you could pull it off. A lot of people like guacamole after all and that's green.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Not many people know this but the second largest Saint Patrick's Day Parade and event is held in Savannah, Georgia. If you find yourself in the area at that time of year you owe it to yourself to check it out. They have a big area down by the river and docks and its good times all around.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:36 am

MauEvig, if your grandma is interested, there is a very simple way to prepare very tender and delectable chrned beef briskit, but it does take 12 hours to prepare, so she will have to start the roast very early. This can be done in the oven with 3 or more roasts if she's having a large gathering or the crock pot if it's just a small gathering of 2 to 4 people. My St. Pat's Bash usualy involves about 16 people so I usualy prepar 5 roasts of about 4 pounds each, and then I let some of them bring home left overs for their people who couldn't make it. It also leaves many delecious left over corned beef to makd sanwiches with to bring to work.

What I do, is place two corned beef briskits into a lare aluminum baking pan and cover with foil. I don't rinse the roasts off. I poid about four holes, t on each side with a knife to allow steam to escape. Then I put it in the oven and bake at 250 degrees for 11 hours and 30 minutes. That's no exageration. 11 hours and 30 minutes. After the final 30 minutes is up I uncover the roasts and bake at 350 for about 29 minutes or so to get a nice 'crust' on top of the roasts. The 5th roast, I place in the crock pot with the cabbage, and cool on high for 8 hours. It's not quite as tender as the oven baked, but it scratches the proverbial 'itch' for those who prefer boiled or simmered corned beef.

For the potatos, I just do Idaho spuds, wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked out on the grill for 2 and a half hours, flipping them over after the first hour and 15 minutes. Keep the grill covered until it's time to flim then recover for the last hour and 15.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Actually I might try that myself one of these days. I have a crock pot now and I love cooking stuff in it. I've made things like chili, cocktail weenies, scalloped potatoes and even a concoction using my mother's lasagna recipe but with Macaroni noodles as a tasty way to eat up stuff around the house. I also made some ribs in there, they turned out great and the meat was falling right off the bone.

I haven't attempted an actual full meat roast yet, unless you count the ribs. I'm sure I could pull it off, but I'd need an entire day to prepare it and my schedule goes all over the place.

My grandma is getting to the point where she tries to cook things more simple these days. She is in her 70's after all. But I do miss her cooking!
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:48 pm

We had the annual parade today and it rained the whole time. Still it was a pretty good event and most of the people behaved. I had to work so needless to say no booze for me. I did have a pint...or two of Guinness yesterday and had corn beef and cabbage for lunch today. I'll make me a Reuben tonight after work and maybe have a Harp Lager and a shot or two of Jamesons.

Erin go bragh!

I never knew Erin wore a bra! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :lol:

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:58 pm

No more drinking Guinness, Heineken or Sam Adams. Not after the way things unfolded in NYC and Boston recently. And I thought bullying was illegal...
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Boogeyman wrote:No more drinking Guinness, Heineken or Sam Adams. Not after the way things unfolded in NYC and Boston recently. And I thought bullying was illegal...
:lol: :wink:

This year, in addition to the steamed baby carrots and the herbed Irish potatoes, we had baked cod. I didn't grow up eating cod and hadn't known what a bland fish it is. I marinated it in butter, lemon and dill ahead of time, which was a good thing, but I don't think I'd choose cod again.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:32 pm

LOL. I love fish but absolutely refuse to cook it at all. All I have is a Foreman grill and I don't care to stink up my entire place. I either go out for fish get take out.

It amazes me how many people have Irish lineage. I saw something the other day that nine of the signers of the Declaration of Independence had roots in Ireland. Also half of the soldiers that fought in our Revolutionary war did as well. For such a small country they sure got around. The more I learn about Ireland and St. Patrick, the more I can appreciate the holiday. It is just a shame that most only see it as an excuse to get drunk and act like a fool once more.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:44 pm

MauEivg, I use my crock pot for everything except for ground meat. Corned Beef, Barbecued Briskit, Pork, it just comes out so juicy and tender. I usualy do the bulk of my corned beef in the oven, however. I'll do 4 roasts in the oven and 1 in the crock pot with the cabbage.

Mike