The (Un)Official Halloween.com Video Game - Brainstorming

Horror, Halloween Video Games etc. Games such as BioShock, Dead Space, Resident Evil.
NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: The (Un)Official Halloween.com Video Game - Brainstorming

Post by NeverMore » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:50 pm

How about a game where you can play as either the monster or the human?

If you're the monster you need to transform as many humans as you can. Once you've got a certain number you get a power-up, maybe transform into the next stronger monster? Since you want to make it somewhat comedic, the monster's weapons would be something like throwing eggs and jack-o-lanterns, slime guns, ect... any staples of Halloween pranksterism.

If you are playing as a human then you are trying to kill all the monster's victims and eventually the big boss monster. The more victims you destroy the weaker the creature gets, but if you encounter the monster first, you'd better run! Weapons would be staples of the horror films... stakes, silver bullets, uh... what kills a mummy?

If it's an interactive game and someone who's playing a monster character transforms your human character, you can either keep playing as a monster or go find a cure. By using the cure you transform back into human with all your previous stats intact, but you have to find that cure before one of the human players kills you. At which point you can start all over as an apprentice monster killer. When the monster initially attacks you, the level of damage determines whether you escape unscathed, you're transformed or you're killed. Also, you'll need to keep your eyes open for caches of weapons and food as you play the game.

If you prefer to play as the monster in the interactive game, the level of damage you receive determines if you escape unscathed, you're transformed to the next weaker monster, or you're outright killed. The human players can also use the cure on you if they choose, most likely if the monsters well outnumber the humans in the game. You can either continue playing as a human or let a monster take you and hope it doesn't kill you in the process. If you're transformed by the same level monster as you were previously, you retain your previous stats.

Obviously, this idea needs to be fleshed out but it seems like it could make a fun gameplay experience. Backdrops could be spooky locations, eerie music to heighten the mood. On October 31st the game could be programed to go into Monster Mash mode where all the characters get along and party :-)

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Alan Wake
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Alan Wake » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:28 pm

NeverMore wrote:How about a game where you can play as either the monster or the human?

If you're the monster you need to transform as many humans as you can. Once you've got a certain number you get a power-up, maybe transform into the next stronger monster? Since you want to make it somewhat comedic, the monster's weapons would be something like throwing eggs and jack-o-lanterns, slime guns, ect... any staples of Halloween pranksterism.

If you are playing as a human then you are trying to kill all the monster's victims and eventually the big boss monster. The more victims you destroy the weaker the creature gets, but if you encounter the monster first, you'd better run! Weapons would be staples of the horror films... stakes, silver bullets, uh... what kills a mummy?

If it's an interactive game and someone who's playing a monster character transforms your human character, you can either keep playing as a monster or go find a cure. By using the cure you transform back into human with all your previous stats intact, but you have to find that cure before one of the human players kills you. At which point you can start all over as an apprentice monster killer. When the monster initially attacks you, the level of damage determines whether you escape unscathed, you're transformed or you're killed. Also, you'll need to keep your eyes open for caches of weapons and food as you play the game.

If you prefer to play as the monster in the interactive game, the level of damage you receive determines if you escape unscathed, you're transformed to the next weaker monster, or you're outright killed. The human players can also use the cure on you if they choose, most likely if the monsters well outnumber the humans in the game. You can either continue playing as a human or let a monster take you and hope it doesn't kill you in the process. If you're transformed by the same level monster as you were previously, you retain your previous stats.

Obviously, this idea needs to be fleshed out but it seems like it could make a fun gameplay experience. Backdrops could be spooky locations, eerie music to heighten the mood. On October 31st the game could be programed to go into Monster Mash mode where all the characters get along and party :-)
You must understand, I have quite a few limitations to what I work with. I am not a professional game designer, nor do I have the knowledge or tools of one. I am merely an amateur and quite a bit of what you propose would be an incredible task.

HOWEVER, we can work with quite a bit of what you proposed. I can make a separate game, an "expansion" if you will, that would allow you to play as the monsters.

"But nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear." - Stephen King

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Now that's a game I could enjoy playing. I liked the atmosphere in the game 'Vampire: The Masquerade'. If you could duplicate that it would be awesome.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:56 pm

i'm excited to see what he comes up with :) i'll download it asap
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Re: The (Un)Official Halloween.com Video Game - Brainstormin

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:41 pm

How about a Black cat somewhere in there? ^^; And if it's a Halloween game I kind of see monster jack o' lanterns bouncing around trying to eat you. o.o
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

Ghoul of the Graves
Halloween Master

Post by Ghoul of the Graves » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:02 am

I'm eagerly awaiting this, what sort of graphic style will it have? Like cartoon, realism etc. ?
Please report all offensive posts to the Mods!

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:05 pm

The black cats could potentially be a power up, or even an optional companion pet. One that you could train to rip out the guts of a monster for you!
Or y'know, just some kind of a backdrop.
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

Alan Wake
Haunt Master

Post by Alan Wake » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Things got busy and I got behind on it. I've got a program that I can do it in, but I'll need some spare time first. This will probably be a weekend project.

"But nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear." - Stephen King

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:51 pm

If its old school rpg like the original Final Fantasys I can contribute monster artwork. Let me know. :) A Halloween.com RPG sounds like great fun. Make a secret Nostalgiascape character:).

I would say create a town called Craft Haven, have the Halloween.com friends explore and combat many of the vicious creatures that have become legends of halloweens past.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

Castle
Halloween Master

Post by Castle » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:45 pm

Doods, what happened to this? This coulda been epic as <I have a great vocabulary>
"He didn't just eat their bodies, he ate their souls."