Haunted Schools

What are your favorite Haunted Places?
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Haunted Schools

Post by MauEvig » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:05 pm

This not only interested me because I'm into hauntings and the paranormal; but the fact that I'm a substitute teacher. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR29wbOnMSc

I wonder if the school I'm going to work for is haunted? I remember once my Mom cleaned this one school before she went to the one she cleans now (which is my old Middle School); and she could have sworn the eyes in the painting there in that room were following her.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Haunted Schools

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:49 pm

You know, there are lots of ghost stories about Washington & Lee as well as Mary Baldwin right in your neck of the woods.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Really? I'd be interested in hearing some of the ghost stories that are local.

If Mary Baldwin really is haunted, all the more reason for me to want to go there! :lol: I thought about Washington and Lee but I think they're really expensive and I'm not sure if they'd have the endorsements I'd need...I think that's what they're called. I'm still figuring this all out.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:06 am

I doubt W&L is any more expensive than MBC, but you can apply for grants, etc. Of course you will want to be sure that wherever you go, the school has the programs you need. I know MBC has the education degrees because that's where my husband picked up the courses he needed to teach. He already had a degree from Vanderbilt, but he needed the right courses for endorsements, as you say, and he wasn't planning on being a teacher when he was in college. (I would also say it is probably easier to be admitted to Mary Baldwin than to Washington & Lee, which is currently ranked #14 among national liberal arts colleges.)

I don't recall the specifics of the ghost stories from those schools right now, but I'm sure with minimal research, you could dig some up. I know at MBC, the girls used to talk about a haunted dorm room, where objects moved on their own, etc. I think it was connected with the movie actress Tallulah Bankhead, who had attended Mary Baldwin as a young woman.

On W&L campus, the stories center around the Lee Chapel, where Robert E. Lee is entombed (downstairs).

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:07 pm

I could have sworn from the Virginia Education wizard (which I really don't like to use to be honest lol) that W&L was more expensive, but I'm not sure.

Sounds interesting and I'll have to look into them. A lot of references to Robert E. Lee were made on the Lexington Ghost tour, though since W&L is in Lexington I guess that makes sense. :)

I won't be staying in the dorms though, I'll likely commute or take my classes online, so I might not get to experience any ghosts if I go to MB. Unless the classrooms are haunted too. :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:31 am

I taught there for six years and had no experience with haunted classrooms, or haunted offices either, for that matter. Although I do recall there was a window pane in my office that had some initials and the date "1913" scratched in it, because the building had formerly been a dorm. At some point during my time there, they replaced the windows, and I was sad to lose that inscription.

I haven't looked at the relative cost of the two schools, Mau, so perhaps you are right about the price tag. I just know that they are both private, and most private schools are in the $50,000-$60,000 range. Places like Vanderbilt & Duke charge around $60,000. The smaller liberal arts schools settle around $50,000. But maybe $20,000 of that is room & board, so if you are not staying on campus, you can lop that part of it off the price. And you needn't be scared of the prices of any of these places, because private schools tend to have good scholarship & financial aid programs, and the government will often help out, too, if you qualify as lower income. And you'd be surprised who can do that--some very middle class folks get Pell Grants, or whatever they are called these days. There are also special funds available for women who are returning to school beyond the traditional college age.

bharatsharma
Ghost

Post by bharatsharma » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am

I hope Harvard is haunted by Einstein he can help me with my homework
Just kidding lol
Halloween brings people together with a sense of community,
dress up with Buy Halloween T-shirts and transform into anything we'd like to be

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:10 pm

There are literally TONS of stories of hauntings at schools and universities.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:34 am

I can't believe I was still subbing at the time I made this thread...that feels like forever ago! :lol: Maybe I AM getting old. :cry: I was mostly in the elementary schools at the time. I couldn't tell you if those schools were haunted or not.

I KNOW the High School I used to work at as a TA was haunted. I heard a story about a custodian who met his unfortunate end by falling through a roof in the old gym. The old gym was near the science wing and I always got an eerie feeling being in that part of the building. Especially if the lights were off.

I've also heard stories about hearing doors slam late at night. I never had that experience and I'm glad I didn't. Apparently though there weren't any doors that were open to say so. I bet that sounded weird.

But other than toilets and urinals flushing by themselves as you walk by (automatic toilets...don't even get me started on those... :lol:) I didn't experience anything out of the ordinary beyond feeling creeped out by the gym and science wing if I happened to be there late at night or early in the morning before the lights were on, or in the older part of the building.

Since then I've changed school districts and work at an elementary school that's about 25 minutes away. As far as I know I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary at that particular building...yet. A loooong story for why I changed districts though...but that gets a bit off topic. (I really enjoyed working at the high school and with the older kids by the way and I hope to go back to that eventually. Or at least teach my target age group of middle school, this school district didn't have a middle school. So it's not like I hated working with older kids... I had some awesome co workers too.)

But...over the summer I joined the paint crew and got to help make a really old school look nice that was built in the late 1930's. I've heard it was built in either 1938 or 1939...but either way I wouldn't be surprised if THAT school was haunted. It was recently acquired when the county wide merge happened. I enjoy the old timey feel of the school, but the only thing I don't like is the dust and mold in it. I hate having allergies. >>
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:32 pm

My husband worked in Augusta County when we were up there. Which district is yours?

He has taught both middle and high school. He has mostly been in high schools, but he says in some ways he prefers the middle schools. He says when they are that age, you can intervene to help them. When they are older, you see them making mistakes that will ruin their lives, and you can do nothing about it.

Virginia is spook central. I've heard dozens of ghost stories about Mary Baldwin and Washington and Lee.