Random Grave Photos

What are your favorite Haunted Places?
jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Random Grave Photos

Post by jadewik » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:57 pm

Not really haunted... that I know of... I just like hanging out in historic places and thought I'd share some photos from my latest adventure.

This one is for you American West history buffs... and if you're not into history, please tell me you've at least seen the film "Tombstone" (1993)....

Tombstone, Arizona was a silver mining town known for its rough-around-the-edges citizens. Names like Wyatt Earp, Curly Bill Brocius, Big Nose Kate, Doc Holliday-- are a dime a dozen in the annals of these historical pages. Tombstone is noted for the longest poker game in history and the historic gunfight at the O.K. corral. One of the gunslingers who is woven into of the tapestry of history about Tombstone is Johnny Ringo. Like most early American history, the details are somewhat jumbled, leaving a lot of room for historical interpretation and mystery.

Ringo's grave is off Turkey Creek-- a road off 90-degree a bend in the south side of Highway 181. It's located on private property about 4-5 miles from Highway 181 (about an hour drive from Tombstone). It is not difficult to find. There are rules for visiting this property... so if you're out this-a-way, make sure you take heed and obey them so people can continue to venture to the grave.

The gunslinger met his demise sometime before July 14, 1882, when his body was discovered. The official COD was listed as suicide from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the right temple, but there is a lot of speculation as to whether or not Ringo was murdered.

It's a fun piece of western history... and even more fun now that I've been.

Here are some of my photos-- course, I go to Tombstone about once or twice a year... so if anyone has any photo requests, let me know... I may or may not already have photos of what you want to see. =)

Anyway...

The gate to the grave-- it is on private property. Please observe the request to keep the gate closed.

Please observe these rules:

It's not much to look at...

If I get 'round to it, I'll write about the drunk guy on the Arizona state seal and the photographer who took the photo-- C.S. Fly-- whose portrait studio was next to the O.K. Corral.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Random Grave Photos

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:02 am

Interesting! I've never been to tombstone, but I have been to Cimarron, New Mexico, which is similarly haunted by ghosts of the Old West.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Random Grave Photos

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:45 pm

Nice photos!

The headstone is weird.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.