Greenwood Cemetery

What are your favorite Haunted Places?
jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Greenwood Cemetery

Post by jadewik » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:32 pm

They call it the 1000 steps-- a staircase in Greenwood cemetery in Spokane, Washington that is reputedly haunted by dozens of ghosts.

Story from http://atlasobscura.com/place/greenwood-cemetery:
According to local legend, the staircase at the Greenwood Cemetery in Spokane, Washington, is more than just a little haunted. If you walk up the stairs without any lights on, the story goes, you will see the faces of men, women, and children when you reach the top. Those brave enough to climb the stairs will also hear, they say, the shrieks and cries of the dead and they will feel something akin to rain on their skin.

Supposedly the site of satanic rituals, the staircase, dubbed "1000 steps" because nobody can make it to the top, according to the legend, leads from the side of an access road up to the cemetery. Renovations made years ago have rendered the staircase unnecessary and it sits decaying and rarely, if ever, used by standard visitors stopping to spend time with the cemetery's residents.

Even if you are able to make it to the top of the staircase without being overcome by fear and don't experience the presence of ghosts, you will still see beautiful landscaping and hundred-year-old tombstones.
Visit this link for photos:
http://atlasobscura.com/place/greenwood-cemetery

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Greenwood Cemetery

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:24 am

I take that as a challenge. The only problem is getting the money needed to make the trip to Washington State, but now i'm anxious to ascend those stairs with my camera.

Mike

Undertaker
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Undertaker » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Always enjoy a Cemetery haunt! Sounds neat!
I am the last smiling face you"ll see before I shut the lid!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Well, there are a couple of cemeteries on my 'haunted road trip' itinary when I get the money together. I am really going to try very hard to get to one haunted destinati9on in October, but I also have a super busy photo schedule.

Mike