Special knives?

Do you have a special way to carve a pumpkin?
supermau5
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 10992

Special knives?

Post by supermau5 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:49 am

Are there any special knives people would recommend for very detailed pumpkin carving?

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Re: Special knives?

Post by iHaunt » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:55 am

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:09 pm

... that depends entirely upon what you mean by "detailed"... and how you plan to carve.

Are we talking sculpting? Traditional carving? Partial traditional, partial sculpting? The tools of the trade vary depending on what you want to do. I use everything from wood gouges and dremels to the pumpkin masters tools. Might use those clay sculpting wire-looking tools too... if I ever buy 'em.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:21 am

It's a matter of fact there are such cutting tools. You can usualy find them in the grocery store when they put our the Halloween merchandise. The two that I have came in a package along with a book of paper stencils that you use to trace the face on the pumpkin before you carve it. I also, believe it or not, have a power tool designed for carving pumpkins. This thing is powered by 2 "AA" batteries and dies a pretty good job on larger eyes and the nose, but for more intricate carving, it's no good at all. For those kind of jobs you really need to use one of the smaller tools.

In any case, even ordinary knives, chosen wisely can do the job. A larg carving knife with a point is good for cutting out the hat and the chimney. Then you hallow out the pumpkin. when carving the face, you want to go with a smaller vegitable knife, though. The more intricate the features or smaller, the smaller the knife should be used. For a 'jack-be-little' you should probably use a pen knife (E Xacto knife)

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Ohh.... I do remember my youngest brother picked up the knife, and saying "I'm going to stab it through your throat!" He's really insane! He's really Azz-hole! :lol:

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:49 am

I have some very small-bladed paring knives that I use for detail work. They came in a pack of four, with plastic handles (one red, one green, one yellow, one blue) and you can find them in the knife section of most stores that sell kitchen stuff. They are really sharp, have just the right amount of flex, and don't get caught in the tough pumpkin skin.

For bigger cuts (like taking off the top), I like a good, heavy duty serrated steak knife, with a rigid blade and very tiny, very sharp teeth.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:38 am

MacPhantom wrote:I have some very small-bladed paring knives that I use for detail work. They came in a pack of four, with plastic handles (one red, one green, one yellow, one blue) and you can find them in the knife section of most stores that sell kitchen stuff. They are really sharp, have just the right amount of flex, and don't get caught in the tough pumpkin skin.

For bigger cuts (like taking off the top), I like a good, heavy duty serrated steak knife, with a rigid blade and very tiny, very sharp teeth.
Are they really good? Great for carving pumpkins?

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:24 pm

Yes, yes they are. They are really good. Really, really good. And also quite great for carving pumpkins, too. Really, really, REALLY great.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:44 pm

Mac, got a pic or a link where I can see the best knives? :D

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:21 am

Pumpkin_Man wrote:I also, believe it or not, have a power tool designed for carving pumpkins. This thing is powered by 2 "AA" batteries and dies a pretty good job on larger eyes and the nose, but for more intricate carving, it's no good at all. For those kind of jobs you really need to use one of the smaller tools.
Is this the dremel one?

I just started a seperate thread asking about it before seeing this. :oops:

We were thinking about getting a power tool this year.

I think I will get one now & get some better small knives for the more intricate carving. The one we're using at the moment is the little saw that get's sold in the supermarkets every year over here. Infact i'm amazed about how ours look so good just using that!
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:08 pm

I saw a nice set of sculpting tools at Micheal's the other day. This would be for sculpting, not carving a pumpkin. Been wanting to try that, probably won't have time this year.

St0ney
Vampire
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by St0ney » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:29 am

supermau5 wrote:Are there any special knives people would recommend for very detailed pumpkin carving?
What I recommend is:

1) Buy a #2 xacto Knife - The FAT One
2) Buy X-acto Key hole Saw Blades.

It's like the Pumpkin Masters Saw, on Steroids - LOL
Much Sharper, Bigger (now Pen Size).

One Blade will last a very Long Time, I carved over 100 Pumpkins using the same saw blade.

VanHelsingStandIn
Master Reaper

Post by VanHelsingStandIn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:44 pm

I have over $5,000.00 worth of custom combat/fighting and hunting knives. I couldn't carve one of those special faces to save my life. I buy the pumpkin and buy the stencil set, and then I pay someone to do it for me.

I know. I'm useless. I'll go crawl under a rock now. :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :( :(

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:51 pm

I don't know what brand it was, Jack. All I know is that it was in my locao grocery store, and it still works and comes in very handy when it's time to carve the jack o'lanterns.

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Had a guy on TV last year that was even using a chain saw and blow torch to do his pumpkins.