Anyone Growing Your Own Pkins?

Do you have a special way to carve a pumpkin?
SIEFKA
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Anyone Growing Your Own Pkins?

Post by SIEFKA » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:20 pm

It may be since the leaves are dying some but I am not sure since it is mainly just spots. I think your right though I went online and this looks like my pumpkins.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... w_Pump.htm

Today I put malorganite on them to keep the deer away it also acts as a fertilizer. Do you think if I put this anti fungus on there as well that it will be too much chemicals?

I just can't wait until next Halloween,
'Cause I've got some new ideas
that will really make them scream!
And, by God, I'm really gonna give it all my might!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:09 pm

SIEFKA wrote:Today I put malorganite on them to keep the deer away it also acts as a fertilizer. Do you think if I put this anti fungus on there as well that it will be too much chemicals?
Maybe test it on only a couple leaves at first.

SIEFKA
Master Reaper

Post by SIEFKA » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:09 pm

I looked at more pictures of pumpkin leaves online with the mildew and I for sure have that on my pumpkins. I was just confused at first I thought that was the sevens dust insect repellant. I hope it is not too late to help my pumpkins! I will look at your homemade recipe. I put some mal organite on it but I wonder if I should wait. I was curious about how many times should I apply this remede I went to Lowe's and the guy gave me this stuff but I wanted to research more before buying. But I would have to apply the stuff every two weeks.

SIEFKA
Master Reaper

Post by SIEFKA » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:07 pm

I was able to get this awesome spray from the local garden shop! This spray works on bugs, fungus, and mites. So this is a 3 in 1 spray that kills and prevents. So when I went to the garden store they said it looks more like scale rather than powdery mildew. So He told me to use this spray.

This is a picture before the spray:

This is today after I sprayed last night:

I am not sure what to do with the dying leaves. I feel like I should cut them off but I am not sure how far down I should. I have got a total of 17 pumpkins. Luckily none of them were really affected. Most are orange but since I cannot store them in my basement I am not sure to keep them. More importantly I am not sure when to tell the harvest date on the pumpkins. I am hoping it will be later so that I am able to just put them out on the front porch. Any advice?

SIEFKA
Master Reaper

Post by SIEFKA » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:26 pm

I went to look after the pumpkins after I had sprayed that 3 and 1 protectant on it. They looked actually really good! The pumpkins are defiently much darker than the one I had to pick off early on my porch. The one on my porch is light orange and my finger nail can still make a imprint on it. But I have been keeping it in the shade and the weather has not been that hot, the porch is cement so its pretty cool. So so far its doing great minus the hole in the back of it. All I did was fill it with dirt and have not seen any changes.

Now onto the other pumpkins. Yes they are much much darker orange and I was suprised to see that they are really big! I think once I took that one pumpkin off the other pumpkins must have stole the rest of the nutrients and grown big. I have a few 20lb pumpkins now which is awesome! I have some small ones but they are all getting carved and put in the front yard. I clipped off all the dead leaves out and I will have to spray again tomorrow but so far things are looking great!

I find this image very cool how the sun hits the pumpkin.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:02 am

Jadewik, did you grow any this year? I had so much fun, wish I woulds had time this year.

How are yours turning out Siefka?

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 pm

We didn't grow pumpkins this year. The yard is all torn up for irrigation. We did grow some watermelon... those vines just won't die

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:19 am

I tried to once...I only ended up with one big green pumpkin out of it that didn't ripen the way it should have. Although when I carved it, it got some pretty spooky results:

It looked like this in the day light:

Nocturnal Purr-Fection