Trick-or-Treating During the Pandemic

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Trick-or-Treating During the Pandemic

Post by jadewik » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:22 pm

I was just wondering if anyone here-about was planning on handing out candy for Halloween, even though there is a pandemic? Are you doing standard candy dispensing, or something modified like a "delivery tube" so you can maintain "social distancing"?... or are you playing it safe and sitting it out?

What are some of the unique modifications you'll make, if you're doing modified trick-or-treating?

Here's a YouTube video for a candy drop: https://youtu.be/il6eAKfSSoE

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Trick-or-Treating During the Pandemic

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:39 pm

That looks awesome a way out of my wheelhouse.

I'm just going to wear a mask and scoop candy out of a bowl with a large kitchen spoon and drop it into their candy bags.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:45 am

I plan on business as usual.

I was in crowds this summer at Yellowstone. We wore the masks when we got close to others, but otherwise, no.

My husband teaches at a high school. My son works in a grocery store. My daughter, an actress and writer, filmed a movie this summer. We all live in the same house. If I'm going to catch Covid, the ToTers probably won't be the primary suspects.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:04 pm

I know we will have candy to give out at our house, and we will be doing the same thing Andybev01 mentioned above, I just hope that kids actually show up. It seems that every year less and less kids show up at the door, last year we had about 100 kids which was down from the previous year, and the lowest amount that ever showed up was 4 kids for the whole night in 2009, but that's because it was raining that night. I can understand why parents are reluctant to let their kids go trick-or-treating this year, as this is something we haven't seen before and it's only natural to be concerned about the health of their family. I have also noticed that every year less people give out candy, so this situation just might give those people another reason to be*skippers*.

My wife still doesn't want to let our girls go out yet, but most likely we will let them go out because I don't want them to be cheated out of trick-or-treating, believe me, I know what that's like, one year I broke a couple of bones and I couldn't go trick-or-treating and it still bothers me to this day that I got cheated. As a kid, you only have a certain amount of years to go trick-or-treating before you either grow up and choose to stop going, or you get older and people make fun of you for it, or adults refuse to give you candy because you're too big. When I was a small kid I remember teens up to 18yrs old coming to our house and my mother always gave them candy, but for some reason when I became a teen it was suddenly wrong. Jerks. So even though we are in this situation, I think kids should still be allowed to go trick-or-treating because next year they might be too old for it.

This year will certainly be interesting, I know some places have banned trick-or-treating this year, thankfully that hasn't happened here yet. I already talked to some of the other parents in the neighborhood and we agreed that we will still be decorating our lawns and giving out candy like we do every year. If the kids show up that's great, if they don't, at least we will have fun.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Yes, I WILL have ToT candy at the ready. I WILL have jack o'lanterns. I WILL be screening horror films. I WILL be having a Halloween party with barbecues, and I WILL be doing Halloween themed activities ALL THROUGH the month of October.

Unfortunately, we do live in the real world, and as we all know, ToT was already a dyeing tradition long before Covid 19. When I was a kid, we went ToT ing to all hours, then went to the Halloween party at the Mt. Greenwood Park. Recently, ToT has been restricted to a 3 h our block of time, and this year, I doubt it will even be permitted, BUT you can bet I will STILL be giving out candy to anyone who does ring my door bell, wearing a costume. I'll even count a medical mask as a Halloween mask. BUT, realistically, I think Covid and the danger of human trafficking are pretty much going to kill it off altogether, if it hasn't already.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 am

The ToTing hasn't been in decline around here, probably because I live near a destination neighborhood.

I have heard of some parents who are afraid to let their kids go this year. That seems extreme to me, but it's their call.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Since a lot of our Halloween mythology revolves around death and spiritualism you would think that it would add to the excitement.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:17 am

Lol. Nobody wants it to get too real!

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:03 am

The reality of it is that a lot of communities are out right banning ToT this year, but I DON'T CARE. If you knock on my door wearing a HALLOWEEN mask, and say "Trick or Treat" you will get a piece of candy. I don't think the local police are going to toss a 60 year old man with a heart condition into the pokey for giving out Reeses Peanut Butter Cups on Halloween.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:59 am

I found a Day of the Dead, washable face mask, so I will wear that to distribute candy.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:49 pm

I'll probably just put my vampire fangs in my mouth like I usually do. The ToT ers, among others, will be hearing some loud music, however unless I'm watching a movie.

Mike

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:59 pm

*I meant to post this sooner, but I thought I would post it now. Last October, I got PLENTY of ToT ers. I almost didn't have enough candy. Some of the communities did actually ban ToT, so those kids came to my neighborhood. It was great. I was also introduced to a lot of different 'chute' type devices that were used to dispense ToT candy. Those look like they would be fun even without a pandemic.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu May 13, 2021 7:44 pm

One house in our neighborhood used the chute method, and it was a big hit.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Thu May 13, 2021 11:08 pm

One of my nieces used a chute for ToT this year, and it sounded like it could a new Halloween tradition, and a lot of fun.
I am actually considering using that method, but with some weird Halloween twist to it.

Mike