The worst non candy item?

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

The worst non candy item?

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:07 pm

What is the worst non candy item you ever got when you went trick-or-treating?

As for myself, I can think of a few things in particular. This one year someone gave us ketchup packs from McDonalds, another year someone gave us old batteries, and another year someone put sponges in our bags, yes, sponges. They were new, but still. The thing is, when you're out trick-or-treating you're having too much fun to notice what you get from each house, but I swear if we knew who gave those items to us we would have gone back to their house with a can of spray paint.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: The worst non candy item?

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:35 pm

I never got anything weird. The most unusual item I ever got was nickels. One older couple used to offer a bowl full of nickels each year, as many as a child could grab in a hand. It was fun!

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:29 am

You have to keep in mind that it's not 'treats or treats', it's tricks or treats.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:18 am

Yes, that's one way to look at it. Actually, I think historically that is the original meaning of the term trick-or-treat, you are asking the person for either a trick, or for a treat. Though when we were growing up it had a different meaning, when we said trick-or-treat we were giving the person a choice, either you give us a treat, or we will play a trick on you.

Most of the time people gave us candy and we went on our way, but occasionally we would get people slamming the door on us, and some of them were just bitter adults that didn't like kids and they were just mean to us for no reason. If those situations came up we would trick them, usually it was something simple like using toilet paper, shaving cream or water balloons, and if they were really mean we would spray paint their house, but we only ever did that a few times.

There is a certain protocol to trick-or-treating that we followed when we were kids.

- If they have decorations, and their lights are on, then you can knock.

- If they have decorations, but no lights are on, then they probably ran out of candy and we won't knock.

- If they have no decorations, and no lights are on, then they're not giving out candy and we won't knock.

- But if they have decorations, their lights are on, and they answer the door, then they better give us a treat, or they will be tricked.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:37 pm

What was the worst non candy ToT item?? Okay, let's see. A flyer advertising a car dealorship. I was only 10, and I didn't have a license or enough money for a bicycle, much less a brand new Ford.

A ticket that simple said "ADMIT ONE" And last but by no means least, an APPLE with a BITE TAKEN OUT OF IT!

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:24 am

Pumpkin_Head wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:37 pm And last but by no means least, an APPLE with a BITE TAKEN OUT OF IT!
That's not only mean, that's disgusting. It makes you wonder what is wrong with some people.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:02 pm

I quite agree. He was a young punk, who thought it would be cute and funny to gross out a 10 year old kid on Halloween, so he just tossed it into my bag, slammed the door and laughed.

A couple of friends and I came back to his house with cans of shaving cream and that apple. We did a number on the car and front porch of that house, then I threw that apple as hard as I could at his front door.

Mike