At What Age Did you Stop Trick or Treating?

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?

At What Aged did you Stop Trick or Treating?

10 to 11
5%
11 to 12
10%
13 to 14
30%
15 to 16
15%
Never stopped, I still do it
38%
Never when Trick Or Treating
3%

Total votes: 40

Undertaker
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: At What Age Did you Stop Trick or Treating?

Post by Undertaker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Who stopped??? Lol! Probably about 12 or 13! I stopped!
I am the last smiling face you"ll see before I shut the lid!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:05 pm

I was 13. I stopped because I felt self consience about it. I was in the 7th grade (behind 1 year due to eye surgery I had when I was in the 2nd grade) and everyone thought I was retarded because of that. At any rate, it was rather stupid of me to stop when I did, because a lot of my friends ToTed all the way through high school, and to this day I get 18 and 19 year olds at my door. And I DO give them candy, too because I am GLAD thay have the guts to enjoy ToT to the fullest.

I get a kick out of some of the moms, dads, and even grand parents who use their own little ones as an excuse to put on a costume. I might even do ths same thing, except that I have to stay home and giv eout the candy. Well, believe it or not, I have as much fun giving it out as I had back in 'the day' when I use to ToT for it.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:12 am

I am one of those moms who frequently costumes. And if I were to stay home all night, I would still costume. I think the kids get a kick out of it.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:31 am

When my 81 year old grandmother visits for Halloween, I put devil horns on her. She's a good sport about it :)

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:18 am

Pumpkin56 wrote:When my 81 year old grandmother visits for Halloween, I put devil horns on her. She's a good sport about it :)
:lol:

That's cool! :)

Quite a few of the parents were in costume last year with their ToTing kids! It's great to see the adults dressed up too! :)
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:42 am

Well my grandmother has never really witnessed the spectacle of Halloween like it is at my house. She's used to just passing out candy to TOTers--no decorations, no pumpkin (it's not that she's unfamiliar with these things, she just doesn't do them). The last Halloween I got to spend with my grandfather was actually the first Halloween he and my grandmother came to visit me. He really got a kick out of all my decorations and pumpkins. He especially liked my bleeding skull candles. He also totally annihiliated my Kit Kat supply! I'm glad I got to show him all that stuff, even if it was only once.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:16 pm

This may sound stupid, but one of the things I never tried to find out about my grand parents is how they celebrated Halloween. That's really sad, but I have no idea how either my grandparents on my mothers side or my father's side celebrated the 'big day.' I don't think it really made a huge difference to them. My parents use to carve jack o'lanterns and I think there was ToTing, but I can't really swear to that, either. Both my parents were around for the Great Depression of the 30s, so there was not a lot of money to spend on any holiday, to boot.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:28 pm

I never stopped tricking, only treating. I just scared three years off my roommate's life with one of those giant fake worms that stick to the wall when you throw it.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:34 am

Pumpkin_Man wrote: This may sound stupid, but one of the things I never tried to find out about my grand parents is how they celebrated Halloween. That's really sad, but I have no idea how either my grandparents on my mothers side or my father's side celebrated the 'big day.' I don't think it really made a huge difference to them. My parents use to carve jack o'lanterns and I think there was ToTing, but I can't really swear to that, either. Both my parents were around for the Great Depression of the 30s, so there was not a lot of money to spend on any holiday, to boot.

Mike
I think my dad's parents (the ones I previously referred to) just passed out candy. I dont really think that they did any decorating. My mom's mother, however, would do a bit of decorating and a long time ago a friend of hers gave her a broom that he had built that had bicycle handle bars and a seat on it. She could be a little, ahem, rough around the edges (to put it nicely) so the gift seemed to fit :lol:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:13 am

Pumpkin_Man wrote: This may sound stupid, but one of the things I never tried to find out about my grand parents is how they celebrated Halloween. That's really sad, but I have no idea how either my grandparents on my mothers side or my father's side celebrated the 'big day.' I don't think it really made a huge difference to them. My parents use to carve jack o'lanterns and I think there was ToTing, but I can't really swear to that, either. Both my parents were around for the Great Depression of the 30s, so there was not a lot of money to spend on any holiday, to boot.

Mike
My mother was born in 1914 in Arkansas, and she told me that Halloween was not celebrated there at all in her childhood. Sometimes some of the teenaged boys would play pranks, that was it.

She said the first time she ever heard about TOTing was when she lived in California in the 1930s. I have since read that CA was, indeed, the state where the custom started in the US. It spread eastward from there, but WWII interrupted the frolic. It came back in a big way with the Baby Boom.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:23 pm

My father was born in 1909, my mom in 1920. Both of them lived their whole lives in the Chicago area, but my dad was born in the 'back of the yards' district.

Like I said, I never really knew what how my grand parents celebrated Halloween, or if they even bothered. My grandmother on my dad's side of the family was born in Aberdine Scottland, and my grandfather on my fathers side was born here in the United States, to a huge family of lumber jacks.

On my mom's side, both of my grand parents were born in the United States, but they were the first generation to be born to Irish imigrants.

Again, my mom and dad celebrated Halloween by carving jack o'lanterns and ToT and the like, but I don't know what my gransparents did. I am assuming that they probably learned it from their parents, but I can't swear to that.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 am

Well, you have more recent Irish ancestry than I do, so maybe that's why your family was more into it. I have Scotch-Irish & Welsh through my mom's dad, but his family came over in the 1720s, I think, so they were a very long way removed from their British roots by the 20th century. My father's father's people were mainly English with an admixture of Irish through the women, but even they came over in the 18-teens, so they were a long way away from the Old Country, too.

My most recent ancestors were my mother's mother's people--German, but they came over in the 1860s. My German great-grandmother was an orphan, raised by nuns, so she was Catholic. But I am not aware that the Germans got into Halloween so much before the 20th century. And everyone else in my family background was Protestant, so there was probably some difference in the customs they followed, even overseas.

JonH
Crypt Keeper

Post by JonH » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Here in suburban St. Louis (which is heavily Catholic, including many of Irish background), Halloween has always been - and still is - a pretty big deal. Must be why its a professional Haunted House mecca (The Darkness, Silo X, etc). Growing up in the '80's, just like it still is today, there were no modern safety-first rules against true trick r treating, everyone went out and canvased the whole neighborhood, and it was a sea of costumes, glowing decorations, and driveway fire pits (which I think is a St. Louis-thing).
I originally stopped in 7th grade - I felt like I was "too old", and instead I walked my younger sister and her friends around the nieghborhood for a couple of years. However, I never stopped loving the holiday, and decorated the entire house through my high school years, watching horror movies, carving jack o lanterns, etc.
Next on my personal halloween story comes at age 21 while I'm in college. We had a friend that found out she was going to have to take her 12 year old sister out ToTing, and we had a great idea: dress up in good enough costumes that hid our true age and go ToTing ourselves! This was Halloween 2000. There I was, a 21 yr old college junior, ToTing for a pillow case full of candy. One older gentlemen asked me (behind my elaborate grim reaper mask) how old I was, and when I replied "um, I'm a junior in high school", he replied, "A little OLD, don't you think?" HAHA, if he only knew the real truth.

These days, I have an awesome time with my wife & friends on our own driveway with our own firepit handing out candy to, by last year's count, 215 kids. Its like a Halloween street festival, and a great time. I love this holiday and always will!

JonH
Crypt Keeper

Post by JonH » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Here in suburban St. Louis (which is heavily Catholic, including many of Irish background), Halloween has always been - and still is - a pretty big deal. Must be why its a professional Haunted House mecca (The Darkness, Silo X, etc). Growing up in the '80's, just like it still is today, there were no modern safety-first rules against true trick r treating, everyone went out and canvased the whole neighborhood, and it was a sea of costumes, glowing decorations, and driveway fire pits (which I think is a St. Louis-thing).
I originally stopped in 7th grade - I felt like I was "too old", and instead I walked my younger sister and her friends around the nieghborhood for a couple of years. However, I never stopped loving the holiday, and decorated the entire house through my high school years, watching horror movies, carving jack o lanterns, etc.
Next on my personal halloween story comes at age 21 while I'm in college. We had a friend that found out she was going to have to take her 12 year old sister out ToTing, and we had a great idea: dress up in good enough costumes that hid our true age and go ToTing ourselves! This was Halloween 2000. There I was, a 21 yr old college junior, ToTing for a pillow case full of candy. One older gentlemen asked me (behind my elaborate grim reaper mask) how old I was, and when I replied "um, I'm a junior in high school", he replied, "A little OLD, don't you think?" HAHA, if he only knew the real truth.

These days, I have an awesome time with my wife & friends on our own driveway with our own firepit handing out candy to, by last year's count, 215 kids. Its like a Halloween street festival, and a great time. I love this holiday and always will!

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:54 pm

215 kids?! I am soooo jealous! :o