No school on the day after Halloween

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: No school on the day after Halloween

Post by Rising Dead Man » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:42 pm

Andybev01 wrote:I've reached that comfortable point in adult life when I can plan any time off I want, so I usually take a long weekend for my own Halloween regardless of what day of the week it actually falls on.

work can always wait...life is too short.
Right you are!! :mrgreen:
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

cwolfe83
Master Reaper

Post by cwolfe83 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:31 pm

I agree they should have off and parents too. That way they can stay up late and eat their candy, watch movies, etc. I'm taking the day before Halloween and Halloween off. I'm going to try to get the day after off too. Wish me luck. LOL :)

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Well, you all are in luck. There's no school after Halloween this year or next year.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:04 pm

I went to a Catholic School when I was a pup, so I allways got All Saints Day off. It was also a Holy Day of Obligation so while I did get out of having to go to school, I still had to attend Mass.

I think Halloween should be a day off from school. I usualy use my "floater" holiday that Iget from my work place to take Halloween off, and a vacation day for All Saints Day, but this year I won't have to do that.

Mike

PumpkinReaper
Ghost

Post by PumpkinReaper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:09 pm

I agree, it was such a pain for me when I was a kid. I hated it. Luckly, this year is on a Saturday.

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:51 am

i wish they would make halloween an actuall holiday :)
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:56 am

Well, when I was a kid, and young enough to Trick or Treat, I went to a Catholic school, and because of that, we ALLWAYS got a day off for All Saints Day, EVEN IF it fell on the weekend. If it fell on a Saturday, we got Friday ((Halloween) off, and if it fell on a Sunday, we got the following Monday off. I can only actualy remember 1 Halloween we had off the entire time I was in grade school, but it was really neat, and I brought home more TOT candy that year then any other. Other subsequent years, we did have to go to school on Halloween when it fell on a week day, but we allways got All Saints Day off, which meant we can stay up all night watching horror movies and all kinds of great Halloween tv specials that were abundant back in those days.

But heck if it were up to me, Halloween itself would be a national holiday in lieu of Columbus Day, and All Saints Day would be a holiday in Lieu of Presidents Day or Lincoln's Birthday, given that there are no real traditions associated with either of those holidays.

Mike

writerpatrick
Master Reaper

Post by writerpatrick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:21 pm

I went to a Catholic school but we always had school the next day unless it fell on a Friday or Saturday. The best was when it fell on a Friday since we could watch cartoons and eat candy the next morning.

While most kids are finished trick or treating by 9pm at the latest, they're usually still fairly worked up. Although a couple hours of walking (or running) does help burn off energy, the candy tends to give them energy.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:35 pm

We didn't have to go to school on All Saints Day, but we did have to go to Mass, because it was a Holy Day of Obligation.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:41 pm

i wish it'd have been this way when i was in school :(
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:45 pm

"The grass is allways greener" as the old saying goes. I loved my school, and I did get days off that the public school kids didn't get. We also got off for Summer Vacation about 2 weeks before the public school kids got off, BUT we had to go back to school in the Fall 2 weeks earlier then the public school kids did. The public school kids also got both Washington's and Lincoln's Birthday off. We only got Washington's Birthday.

So you could say that evertthing has it's advantages and disadvantages. One MAJOR disadvantage of going to a Catholic school were the uniforms we had to wear. Navy blue pants, light blue shirt with a bow tie for the boys, and a plad skirt and white blouse for the girls. In later years, they dispensed with the uniforms for the boys, but there was a very strict dress code. Black leather shoes, slacks, button down shirt and a tie was to be worn at all times. If you came to school without a tie, you had to face the "board of education." The "Board of Education" was a wooden paddel about yay long, had a hand grip for the teacher, and was usualy administered across the posterior region of the child's body as punishment for various infractions. Forgetting to wear a tie almost allways resulted in the "Board of Education."

Mike

writerpatrick
Master Reaper

Post by writerpatrick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:35 am

I don't think it's necessary to give people Oct. 31st off, although allowing people off work early, say 3pm or 4pm wouldn't be a bad idea. There's a lot of people who just don't get home by the time the TOTers start coming around. And it takes at least an hour, usually two or more, to carve a decent pumpkin.

I think a lot of parents are just as happy for kids to be going to school the next day; I doubt they want to have to deal with sugared up kids.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:34 pm

Writerpatrick, your point is well taken, but we have three legal holidays that have no observable TRADITION to speak of at all. Columbus Day in October, Presidents Day and Lincolns Birthday, both of which are in February. February is one of two of the deadest months of the year, so it makes no sense to have two days off from work when all I'm going to be doing is sitting around and be board, or house clean. I would GLADLY give up Presidents Day and Loncoln's Birthday to have Halloween and All Saints be made leagal holidays in their place. The reason is because Halloween has many observable TRADITIONS, and it makes more sense to have it off then it does some cold, boring Winter day in the middle of February. As for Columbus Day, the students at my college have it off, but the employees do not.

Mike