What do you guys think about trick-or-treaters without...

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: What do you guys think about trick-or-treaters without..

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:19 pm

I know I said that home made costumes tend to be 'hokdy,' but I have to say that some of the best Halloween costumes I've ever seen were home made. In fact, I actualy won a prize for a home made costume when I was about 10 or 11. I made a robot costume out of some old cloths dryer ventilation hoses and card board boxes. In fact, I won 1st prize at the Mt. Greenwood Park Halloween Costume contest.

Mike

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Jack Skellington » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Yes I agree! I've seen some awesome home made costumes before. I guess they look better because more effort goes into making them.
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:25 pm

More effort and more imagination. It's amazing wh at old junk can be turned into at Halloween.

Mike

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:28 pm

I think so too. Sometimes that old junk can turn into whatever it is you have pictured in your mind better than the available costumes and accessories for sale.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:32 pm

When I was a kid in Mt. Greenwood, that was the only way the vast majority of us got Halloween costumes. Mt. Greenwood was a working class neighborhood. We were not millionares or billionares. The little kids were ale to get away with those cheap costumes that sold for a buck-fifty at Zares, but when we got older, we made our own. It actualy became a 'right of passage' to make your own Halloween costume when you were too big for the Zare veriety.

Mike

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Even if you have to improvise, and you're not a 'world class' arteest, TRADITION at Halloween calls for at least a mask or some kind of a costume. Something as simple as an old Chefs Hat and a spatchula will IMHO uphold the TRADITION. Now I love the creative ideas that some people come up with. But my main thing is TRADITION. Again, I realize you must think I'm 100 years old, but that's the way I am. I am an absolute stickler for TRADITION. Any unsuspecting peper grocery bag, paper or styrophome plate or even an old bed sheat, will meet TRADITIONAL 'Trick or Treat' requirements. I'm s ure the very poorest of the poor can get a hold of a paper grocery bag.

Mike
I'm with Pumpkin man! Yeap! There's no excuse! Halloween, is a time where anything goes!!! Freehand at creativity! I'm a stickler! No costume, no candy!! :evil:

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:16 pm

I'll give some one with no costume one piece of candy, but I have to agree. Costumes are Trick or Treat tradition, and upholding a tradition can be as simple as a 5 dollar pair of vampre teeth, a chefs hat, a mask, or even a paper bag with a face drawn on it.

Improvise! It's Halloween. It's not supposed to be beautiful. It can be beautiful or absolutley ugly. Who cares? Improvise! It's traditional, and it's a beloved tradition.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 pm

What about having two bowls of candy? One with black liquorice, or something else yucky, for the kids who don't perform some kind of cosplay. The other bowl could have something really yummy for the kids who do dress up. Of course, make sure the kids without costume know what you're doing so maybe the next year they'll put forth some effort.

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:52 am

Well said Mike! :)

NeverMore, that's a great idea! :twisted: :wink:
Yours in haunting;

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:02 am

I prefer costumes, but I can't be mean to someone who's not wearing one. I don't know what every kids situation is and Halloween is about having fun. Everyone who comes to my house gets candy.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Pumpkin56 makes a pretty good point. Some kids are not even allowed to ToT and are sneaking it against their parents wishes. I don't condone that, by the way, but then there is no way I can detemine which kids are allowed to ToT and which arent.

At any rate, I'll give the un costumed 'beggars' one piece of candy, but the costumed ToTers get a more generous response from me. For the most part, I get very few people who are not in costume. I may get 1 or 2 beggars every Halloween, but all the rest are costumed ToTers.

Mike

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:24 am

I also only get around 1 or 2 "beggars," everyone else is dressed up! :D
Yours in haunting;