When do you think your to old to Trick or Treat?

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?

When do you think your to old to Trick or Treat?

5-10
No votes
10-15
19%
15-20
25%
Never
56%

Total votes: 16

ilovemichaelmyers
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: When do you think your to old to Trick or Treat?

Post by ilovemichaelmyers » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm 33 and still o TOT'ing with my kids costume and all. I'm short so I get away with it :lol:
The Night HE Came Home

Ciuin
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Ciuin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:32 pm

ilovemichaelmyers wrote:I'm 33 and still o TOT'ing with my kids costume and all. I'm short so I get away with it :lol:
Adults are easily fooled by shortness, it's great. As long as your costume isn't too mature.
'All the water's dead. All of it. And the taps don't work either.'

ilovemichaelmyers
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by ilovemichaelmyers » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Ciuin wrote:
ilovemichaelmyers wrote:I'm 33 and still o TOT'ing with my kids costume and all. I'm short so I get away with it :lol:
Adults are easily fooled by shortness, it's great. As long as your costume isn't too mature.

I think I will be Hannah Montana this year :lol:
The Night HE Came Home

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:30 pm

3 or 33, short ot tall, if you come to my house in a costume on Halloween and say "Trick or Treat" when I open the door, you get a piece of candy. That's TRADITION.

Mike

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 pm

ilovemichaelmyers wrote:
Ciuin wrote:

I think I will be Hannah Montana this year :lol:
Ooohhh! Scary!! :shock:

The Phantom
Crypt Keeper

Post by The Phantom » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:23 pm

I trick-or-treated through my senior year of high school. Now, in college, I have traded it in for other Halloween activities. Of course, I will go back to trick-or-treating when I have kids. I will always dress up (heck, I may even try to coordinate costumes for the entire family) and walk around with the kids, whether I attempt to get candy or not, we will just see.
"Feast your eyes! Glut your soul on my accursed ugliness!"

writerpatrick
Master Reaper

Post by writerpatrick » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:59 am

Unofficially, the split seems to be between elementary school and high school. Grade 8 is generally the last year for it. When you get to high school then ToTing tends to be childish.

I skipped Grade 7 thinking I was getting too old for it but wound up going around in Grade 8. That was my last year.

Now if I could just stop my candy addition. :)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:04 pm

That's how it was for me, WriterPatrick. I went Trick or Treat ing up until I was 12, which was 1972. Hallowen of 72 was the last year I TOTed. When I got into 7th grade, I was 13 because I was held back a year becasue of eye surgery. Anyway, I felt too self-consience about TOTing, so Halloween of 73 I did other things. Unlike you, however, I never went back to it. A pity really, especialy since the other kids in our neighborhood were freshmen and even seniors in high school, and were TOTing. I answered the door many times and was asked why I wasn't in costume, and was not out there with them. I usualy made up some BS excuse, but the truth was I felt silly about it. A like I said, it was a pity, because I did myself out of a lot of fun.

Mike

Blackhawkgirl446
Ghost

Post by Blackhawkgirl446 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:14 pm

I am 26 and I plan to go Trick or Treating this year dressed as Chucky but wearing my every day clothes with my mask.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:50 am

I'm happy to hand out candy to anyone who comes to my door. I personally always enjoyed the costuming more than collecting candy, so I can still do that.

I ToTed when I was 16, taking some younger neighbor kids around with me for an excuse. My older son stopped of his own volition at 12; middle son ToTed with his younger sister when he was 15. My daughter didn't go last year (at 15) because she had homework, and she cried about it. I have already ordered her to make plans this Halloween. I don't care if she ToTs with friends or goes to a party, but she is going to celebrate. I don't want any more crying kids on Halloween night!

My boys were both born in Staunton, VA, and there was supposedly some law on the books up there that no one could go out on the streets at night in costume over the age of 14. This dated from the Civil Rights era & was meant to curtail the KKK. Perhaps because of that, I have always felt that ToTing is absolutely OK through the age of 14 (or 8th grade, whichever). After that it gets a little dicey. However, I do know of a number of high school kids who still do it, and I am perfectly fine with that. Halloween is fun. I'm all for having fun, and letting other people have fun, too.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Murf, like I said, I was self consience back when I was 13, and didn't want to ToT at that point. Now that i'm in my 50s, I would give my eye teeth to ToT one more year, but at my age, that just doesn't happen. The oldest I ever had was around 18 or 19, and I didn't begrudge him anything because he was in costume and said the "magic words." "Trick or Treat." I do give out candy to parents who accompany their little ones on a ToT, though.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:40 pm

I think some kids in my highschool still trick or treated when they were in their senior years, but I didn't. I got to a point in time when my mom and I stopped going and she'd just take me to the store to pick out my own candy. I'd still wear a costume, and I didn't mind so much. At least that way we didn't have to worry about sorting out the candy for things like razor blades and poison.
I actually enjoyed handing out candy at my grandma's and I really liked seeing all the costumes. I also had this little animated cat that some of the kids and parents got a real kick out of. I thought it was really cool when I saw grown ups dressed up.
I think the most creative costumes I saw were of legos that people made out of boxes. Those were cool.
I can't remember exactly how old I was when we started just going to the bulk food section of the store and buying the candy. Since we lived in the country we sort of just picked a town to go trick or treating in that was close by.
Now that I live out in the boonies, I heard we'd be lucky to get between 1 to 5 trick or treaters. It's hard to say. I guess we'll find out when Halloween night comes along. If I end up working night shift that night, I may not be able to pass out candy anyway. Of course, we don't get out that late. I get out around 8PM or so and it would only take me about 15 minutes to get home, but in many places Trick or Treating is over by then. But it's hard to say here.
Oh well, more candy for us. Haha!
Although I do like the fact that Mike gives out candy to anyone who shows up in costume. I'd offer candy to grown ups. I think I'd even be nice enough to give out candy whether they were dressed up or not. Better than getting egged.
Yet, one Halloween I passed out candy, and my car STILL got egged. I hope my grandma's house doesn't get plummeted with eggs, toilet paper, shaving cream and silly string now that I'm not there to pass out candy, because she's likely to just turn the lights out and lock the door.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 am

Your mentioning the eggs reminds me that last Halloween night, I was stalking around in my yard in costume. It was rather early and I had seen no TOTers yet. And someone in a passing car tossed an egg at me! It didn't hit me, but I was surprised.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Yeah it's weird because I thought the egging and other pranks was only supposed to be if you refused to participate in Halloween activities like handing out candy.

Of course, now that I live out in the country I doubt that'll happen, though you never know.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Halloween pranks were allways common place where I grew up as they are not. It wasn't just eggs being thrown around, either. IT was eggs, shaving cream, hair remover (i.e. Nair) and toilet paper. The houses targeted were the homes of those mysenthrophic neighbors who were allways yelling at us and wouldn'g give out candy.

I don't condone any type of vandelism, even as a Halloween prank, but when I was 10 or 11, my attitude was a bit different.

Mike