With a yard haunt, should the porch lights stay on?

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
Jack Skellington
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: With a yard haunt, should the porch lights stay on?

Post by Jack Skellington » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:34 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:Halloween Grinches! That's a perfect name for them! The Halloween Grinches who try and ruin it for the Pumpkinheads.

What's their problem? :evil:
They probably have issues in life! :lol:

Mike, I remember annoying my wife with that song. We did the ride in Orlando & I remember singing it every now & again throughout the rest of the holiday!

If I remember rightly, the character Scar from 'The Lion King' was also annoyed with the song just as the Hyenas were about to start singing it! "No! Not that song!" :lol:
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:58 pm

It is a VERY annoying song I hate to say. I love Disney World in Orlando, but I can't stand that song. That and the old Teekie Birds.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:39 am

That Small World ride actually premiered at the Disney Exhibit at the New York World's Fair, 1964-65. My mother and I rode it on our trip to NYC in 1965. Then the next year, we rode it again out in CA at Disneyland (no Disney World yet in those days).

As a child, I loved the ride, but even then it was remarkable how quickly that song could become an earworm.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:54 pm

that ride creeped me out as a kid, I still dont care for it, but my wife loves it......go figure
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 am

For a little kid that ride would be a lot of fun, especialy back in the mid 60s. There was a catchy tune, lots of colorful play things and a magical experienced. But for an adult, it might be fun once or twice, but then it becomes anoying, and it's time to change the proverbial record. IT was the same deal with the Teekie Birds. The first time it was funny. the 5th, 6th, 7th, or hwo ever many times my nieces wanted to go on that, it started getting very old.

All though, I have never tired of Disney's Haunted Mansion. I went on that ride a bunch of times every time I visited Disney World. The funny thing is, I know just about every line recited int hat attraction by heart. ".....I am your host. Your Ghost hose...Bwa hahahahaha......"

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:45 pm

i don't think my mom would let me go to a house that didn't have the front door/porch light on when I was a kid...I dunno...

When I lived with grandma and if it didn't get too cold, sometimes I'd sit out on the lawn, a lot of kids were afraid to go up into the porch which stinked because that's where most of my decorations were one year. Once it got colder out I'd sit inside and just wait for a trick or treater to show up. The porch light would be on either way though, until I decided to stop handing out candy...since I wanted to save a bit for myself. Mwahaha!
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 am

A lot of times, if you don't see any Halloween decorations up and the porch lights are out, that means that the person who lives there does not want ToTers, or nobody's home. There are elderly people who just can't afford to hand out candy so they keep their houses dark and their lights off for Halloween.

Last Halloween it was so rainy and chilly I had very few ToTers, but I still put a jack o'lantern out and lit my porch light.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:09 pm

I remember going to one really cool house when my parents were still married, and it actually had the grown ups dressed up as ghosts. It was really cool. It scared me a bit though being so young, but looking back on it, it was pretty awesome.
I'm not sure if they had a porch light on, but I think they might have had a flashing light of some kind. My memory of my childhood prior to my parents divorce is foggy at best. But I remember adults had actually dressed up there, and I think that's so awesome, especially since it's hard to get grown ups to dress up these days.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:22 am

I usualy put on my vampire fangs for the older kids, but the younger ones I take them out, because I don't want to scare them.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:11 pm

That's pretty cool! I know some kids seemed a little leery of me I think when I would come out with my witch or death kitty costume on, but the parents seemed to enjoy it more than anything. I also had a singing black cat that was a real hit with the trick or treaters, but I think it's still up in New York somewhere in my Grandma's basement. I need to make a note to get some of those things on our next trip up.
The people who dressed in ghosts did kind of scare me because I was pretty young, I was somewhere between 5 and 9, but I can't remember exactly how old I was at the time. But looking back on it now I think it was awesome that grown ups dressed up. I wish more would.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:48 pm

One of the things my neighbors really thought was cool was when I taped a bed sheat over my livingroom window and then projected the movie "Nosferatu" on it. My local library actualy has a 16mm film copy so I use my dad's old 16mm movie projector to show it. I usualy run the film about 3 times, and when it gets dark it really looks cool.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:29 am

That would be very cool. I have a DVD of Nosferatu, but I don't have a projector.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:32 am

I have "Nosferatu" on DVD too, but I much prefer to show the 16mm motion picture film.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:37 pm

On the original topic, how about lining the sidewalk or walkway with luminaries? That way people can see where they're supposed to walk but you don't have to ruin the mood. Probably want to use tealights in the bags so no one tries to catch them on fire. I wonder if they make solar powered Halloween themed sidewalk lights yet?

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm pretty sure they would have solar powered Halloween lights, and thanks to the recent change to the date we're all supposed to 'fall back,' there's an extra hour of daylight to charge them up.

Mike