With a yard haunt, should the porch lights stay on?

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: With a yard haunt, should the porch lights stay on?

Post by iHaunt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:22 pm

I would use orange light bulb on the porch, and the purple light outside of the garage so I have to let them on 'till midnight. ;)

OctoberChill
Halloween Master

Post by OctoberChill » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:05 pm

I had a small cemetery setup in my front yard last year. I kept the porchlight off just because it was too bright and killed the atmosphere. I had no issues with people not going to the house though. We had about 80 plus tot'ers so there was always at least one at the house at any given time, so obviously the others would see and know to come to the door.

We had purple and orange lights all through the yard and lining the sidewalk up to the porch (mainly for safety reasons. It was still somewhat dim and I didn't want any kids hurting themselves). I would just assume that having a big Halloween display in your yard would be enough for people to know to come to the house, but everyone thinks differently I guess.

BTW those pumpkin porchlight covers are sweet! I definitely wouldn't mind having one this year.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:49 am

I noticed that the porchlight covers are sold out online at Spirit. May have to check out a few stores...

JonH
Crypt Keeper

Post by JonH » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:56 am

I noticed a couple of you mentioned using the compact flourescent "black lights" in your front porch lamp. I haven't put one in because of the warning to "not use in a completed enclosed recessed light", so instead I've just used one of those traditional purple light bulbs (which isnt' as cool because it doesn't make stuff "glow"). Am i being too careful, would the compact flourescent be fine in the porch light?

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:28 pm

My porch light isn't recessed, so I can't tell you--

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:40 pm

No idea but I kinda want to go all MythBusters and see what happens :D

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 pm

I bought a black lightbulb for my porch light, but it was a screw in one & my light connection is push in & turn! Gotta take it back now & they don't do one with the connection I need! :x
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:37 pm

JonH wrote:so instead I've just used one of those traditional purple light bulbs (which isnt' as cool because it doesn't make stuff "glow
neither do incandescent "black lights" but they look cool....yes they do get hot, just leave the cover off for that one night.
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:26 am

Black, purple or blue lights are great! :D I use purple lights in my bedroom and in the hallway too. ;)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:14 am

The purpose of the porch light being on is to indicate to ToTers that you are giving out candy. The same purpose is usualy accomplished by a Halloween yard haunt, so if yor yard haund is iluminated and provides adequate light so the ToTers can see their way in and out of your front yard, there's no need for a porch light. A porch light can also be altered for the season, as I usualy put in a green screw-on florecent coil every October, and that works like a charm.

If your yard display is not iluminted, and you want the ToTers to come, then you will need to have your porch light on. Of course, don't forget that daylight savings time is still in effect until the weekend after Halloween, so there will likely still be daylight until about 7:00 pm, which is when ToT is over in my town.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:25 am

Yes, I always have to leave my lights on till midnight on the porch. For inside, I have to leave it on until 1 or 2 am.

By the way, if it's Halloween night for TOTers so I would have to turn off everything at 9 pm. No more candies after 9 pm b/c we would only have a very few candy left. :?

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:44 pm

ToT is officialy over in my town at 7:00 pm, but there are a few stragglers who've come as late as 9:00, and I allways give them candy. If the cops catch them, however, it's a 500 dollar fine believe it or not. The 'local yocals' in my town are very strict about ToT. 3 to 7. Not one minute befor 3 and not one minute after 7. But never the less, I allways get the inevitable stragglers who come around 2:30, and after 9:00.

At mighight, though, I mount up the motorcycle and go for my traditional Halloween motorcycle ride. Some times I have to bundle up as it gets pretty chilly, but I still have a blast.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Your midnight motorcycle ride sounds like a fun tradition, Mike.

No matter how many times you talk about it, I just can't get over the idea that the law in your community says when people can TOT--and mandates that it be during daylight! Party poopers. I always wondered why on earth movies show people TOTing in daylight. I guess up North, lots of people are forced to do that. I am so glad that we aren't compelled to do that.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:55 pm

No kidding, that would suck. Most people don't even get off of work until 5 or 6! Where would all the TOTers get to go? There are no regulations on ToTing where I live. It's mostly just 'have fun, don't do anything illegal'.

I do appreciate the input on the porch lights, Pumpkinheads. I think I may just pick up an amber flood light or two and stake them into the ground then and let the jacks make up the rest of the light. I have an army of those ready to go so they should give off enough illumination for the TOTers :)

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:58 am

That does sound a bit harsh Mike. The ToTing is normally over around 21:00 where I live. Then around 21:30 I start diving into the left over candies! :P :wink:

I also keep a porch light on too. :)
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town