Halloween treats other than candy

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Halloween treats other than candy

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:52 am

Yes, when I Googled it, I saw that there are several "local names" for peanuts, and there is even a band (I suppose in the UK?) called Monkey Nuts. It must be a very common term over there, but I had never heard it before. Around here, it is always peanuts (or maybe Goober peas; I've heard that one, too, in an old song).

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:10 pm

I never heard a peanug refered t anything other then a peanut where I come from. And I LOVE peanuts. I have a special fondness for honey glazed roasted that Planters makes.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed May 08, 2013 5:42 pm

This would work...

(Clickie ze imaage for mour inpho)

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Boogeyman » Wed May 08, 2013 6:06 pm

I am sure they will be selling those at the county and state fairs before too long.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 am

I'm afraid that would just be too much of a good thing for me.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Thu May 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Goober is a common slang in the South for peanuts. More of a Georgia thing and for us older folks; we've called peanuts, Carters Gold. A referance to the former peanut farmer turned president. Truth is he was NEVER a peanut farmer. His family ran the business. And I guess a good case could be made he was NEVER a president! :lol: :lol: :wink:

The popcorn balls were cool as were the carmel and candy covered apples. Last year the Target near me sold carmel apples and popcorn balls for Halloween.

I think I've said this before but bares repeating. Most of the stories you've heard about razor blades in apples are urban legends. I can only recall this happening once in twenty years. Most hospitals and police departments will x-ray candy and apples during Halloween for free too.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri May 10, 2013 1:19 pm

NeverMore, those look really great, but I would have to limit myself to 1 or 2. The sugar load would be too much.

Kolchak, I agree. Most likely, all the 'razor blades in apples' stories were originaly made up to make Halloween a little scarier. Too bad the media turned into a fear mongering fest.

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Tue May 14, 2013 9:55 pm

There's a company called Oriental Trading that you can look up online and find really cheap Halloween themed merchandise like toys and whatnot that you can buy in bulk and are pretty cheap. Their candy is also pretty cheap and you can get it in bulk too. They do it for all the seasons so its not just a Halloween thing.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed May 15, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks for the tip, Kolchak. I personaly prefer to give out candy for ToT, because of it being the main Halloween tradition. Perhaps I can enhance my Halloween decorating through them.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed May 15, 2013 10:11 am

Yes, elementary school teachers buy a lot from Oriental Trading.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Nevermore, you need to follow up your treat post with a post on how to burn 3000 calories after eating one of those things 8)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 am

Hey, Pumpkin, long time no see! Good to see you back.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:51 am

Murfreesboro wrote:Hey, Pumpkin, long time no see! Good to see you back.
Hi Murf! Thank you, it's nice to be back. It's been way too long. Hopefully I can lurk around the forum a little more in the coming weeks and months... :)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed May 22, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Pumpkin56. Murf has a point. Long time, no see. I hope everything is okay for you.

Getting back to the main topic, (no I am not trying to be the 'topic police,' either) I was at my local grocery story yesterday, and I overheard a conversation between the owner and main manager of the store, and they were talking about Halloween candy for September and October, and you'll never believe what's going to be making a come-back. Slow Poke lolly pops. For those of you who may be too young to remember, a "Slow Poke," was a slab of hard, chewy carmel on a lollypop stick. They were among my Halloween favorites when I was a kid, only they're back. This time, no lollypop stick. It's just a flat slab of carmel, about the same size of a standard Hershey Bar, and I am going to stock up on those big time come the end of the Summer.

Mike

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:35 am

Hey Mike, how are you?

You know what I wish would come back? The Reese's Crunchy Cookie Cups. They were around for about 5 minutes before they vanished, never to be heard from again. I'm not a huge candy person but I really liked those.