ToT'ing with apartment living.

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: ToT'ing with apartment living.

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:34 am

That's so funny about the truck--we do drive Fords down here! My husband doesn't want anything else. He has a King Ranch, and when Jimmy Fallon also bought one, my husband tweeted to him, "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who drive a King Ranch, and those who wish they did." Fallon "liked" the tweet, or whatever you do with tweets to highlight them, and so did the president of Ford, or whoever is over that division of Ford.

I think "rednecks" can be used about states other than TX & OK--probably my stomping grounds of Mississippi, Arkansas, and Tennessee, too. The crackers are in Georgia, and I'll take your word for it that "cracker" applies to Florida as well.

Lincoln produces a pick-up truck that is sold only in the South. We laugh whenever we see one. We prefer our King Ranch, actually.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:05 pm

So what do you all call the country folks who live in New York state?

I've been dubbed a "Yankee-billy" before. :lol:

That's actually pretty cool Murf. My dad's a Ford guy himself. I just drive whatever runs good and is good on gas. :lol:
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:That's so funny about the truck--we do drive Fords down here! My husband doesn't want anything else. He has a King Ranch, and when Jimmy Fallon also bought one, my husband tweeted to him, "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who drive a King Ranch, and those who wish they did." Fallon "liked" the tweet, or whatever you do with tweets to highlight them, and so did the president of Ford, or whoever is over that division of Ford.

I think "rednecks" can be used about states other than TX & OK--probably my stomping grounds of Mississippi, Arkansas, and Tennessee, too. The crackers are in Georgia, and I'll take your word for it that "cracker" applies to Florida as well.

Lincoln produces a pick-up truck that is sold only in the South. We laugh whenever we see one. We prefer our King Ranch, actually.
Redneck is pretty much a catch all to describe white people. People who work farms in the Fresno area of California are also called rednecks. Cracker and Redneck are the only ethnic slurs that are allowed today. You can be called that without fear of losing your job and be required to attend sensitivity training.

Cracker in Georgia and the South Carolina low country comes from old men sitting around the cracker barrel in general stores and discussing things.

In Florida it comes from the cracker cowboys who cracked their whips to herd and drive cattle. Florida has a long history of cattle ranching, and is still the largest cattle producing state, east of the Mississippi river.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:43 pm

Lincoln produces a pick-up truck that is sold only in the South. We laugh whenever we see one. We prefer our King Ranch, actually.[/quote]

Years ago I met a nice young man.....I thought. He wanted to learn how to hunt wild turkey. He went out and bought a very expensive Italian made shotgun and a Lincoln Navigator that cost more than my first house. He bought matching camouflage, that included socks. Why you need camouflage socks is beyond me.

So on the day we were supposed to leave, he called me to ask if we could take my truck because he didn't want to scratch his Navigator up. I sensed this was not going to end well, and I was right.

You hunt turkey by calling them. I called, but my friend made more noise than a freight train. He couldn't sit still because he was scared bugs would get on him. He was without a doubt the most childish acting adult I have hunted with.

He complained, complained and complained, until I finally had enough and took him home. He actually had the nerve
to call me and ask me to teach him to deer hunt. I said thanks, but there ain't enough gold at Fort Knox that I would take you out with me again. He was incredulous. He couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to hunt with him again?

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:02 am

That sounds almost like one of those comedy routines. There is one by a stand-up comic, I forget who, who talks about taking his wife deer hunting. When a deer finally shows up, she says, "Aww, he looks like Bambi's father." Then she sees her husband aiming at him, and asks in horror, "You aren't going to shoot him, are you? Run, deer, run!" :lol:

You are right that white Southerners are the only group of people it is OK to ridicule, with the PC crowd, I mean. The thing is, I don't care at all if they call me a redneck, or a honky, or whatever. I wish they could know how little I care. It is irksome, though, to know the assumptions behind those labels.