ToT'ing with apartment living.

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
Punkin
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 10992

ToT'ing with apartment living.

Post by Punkin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Hello there! I am new around these parts but have been a longtime lurker. I have decided that I needed to join so I have someone to talk to about my love of Halloween because my boyfriend is starting to think I'm bonkers.

Anyways. I live in a small apartment complex that does not participate in ToT'ing, meaning the door stays locked that night. It's a nice neighborhood with a ton of kids and single family homes and it gets pretty busy on Halloween night. I would love to give out candy this year and am debating just sitting outside in the cold with a bowl. Is that crazy or has anyone else done something similar?

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Re: ToT'ing with apartment living.

Post by NeverMore » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:01 am

Ever hear of Trunk-or-Treat? Decorate the trunk of your car and hand out candy from there. That way you can go to where all the action is. Hope you don't live in a cold weather state.

BTW: Your boyfriend is right, you are bonkers. :wink: But that's a good thing around these parts.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Punkin
Ghost

Post by Punkin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:04 am

Chicago! But that is a good idea. Hopefully no one calls the cops barbecue there is a chick in a car offering kids candy.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:53 am

Yes, you'll probably have to go where the kids are, since parents nowadays tend to shepherd the young ones to well-known neighborhoods, where the homes are highly decorated. I see nothing wrong with sitting outside holding the candy, though. I usually do that myself, costumed as a witch, and I live in a single-family home. Trunk-or-Treat might be a good option for you as well.

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:34 am

Dammmm, NeverMore beat me to it, but I agree with Murf!! Ha ha ha!! Gotcha!! :wink:

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 pm

my church did a trunk or treat last year the weekend before Halloween. I participated in the decorating part and to my surprise, it was a lot of fun. it was like decorating a bunch of mini porches.
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:22 pm

You could contact a local church and ask if they're having a party you can crash. If you give 'em your contact info now, they shouldn't get all weirded out by the crazy Halloween aficionado.

The other option would be to go to a friend or family memeber's house and pass candy out there. I did that when I lived in apartments.

A third option would be to reverse-trick-or-treat (or go "Boo-ing") and drop candy off at friends houses. I did that when I lived in the dorms at the university.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:32 pm

You know, I never thought about participating in a "trunk or treat." Maybe I should do something like that or go to a friend's house. "Boo-ing" I like that. :lol: Though I'd like to do a party this year instead; seeing how we don't get many trick or treaters here.

I have some friends who live in the town of my college. I wonder if handing out candy at one of those houses is an option. Still I like to do something at our own home; and deck it out for the glorious holiday. :)

People at College might have some ideas, and now that I'm going to be working with the school system, maybe I can get some ideas from some of the faculty and staff there. Maybe we can organize a candy thing right at the high school. That might be neat. Some of the older kids could get involved as well, and hand out candy to the younger kids.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:49 am

The high school where my husband teaches has a trunk-or-treat each year.

I also think the idea of your hosting a Halloween party is super. Once people are grown-up, if they don't live in a good neighborhood for TOTing, parties are definitely the way to go.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Yeah; I miss the good ol' trick or treating though and seeing all the kids in their costomes. A lot of them involve generic things like superheroes, princesses and stuff like the latest movie craze but every once in a while you see one that's really creative. One time someone went as a Minecraft character and as a gamer I thought that was pretty cool. Occasionally you still see the classic horror characters like your werewolves, zombies, vampires and witches.

But maybe if the local school did a trunk or treat, it wouldn't be the actual day of Halloween; that way I could potentially do both. Just in case we do get any trick or treaters, even if it's just one I may have a small stash of candy ready for them. If not, I guess I'll just have to eat it! :lol:
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 am

I drive a pick up. I don't think I have enough money to fill that up.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:39 pm

Here's that pickup truck Kolchak is talkin about...

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Actually I think a pick up truck would have a lot of decorating possibilities if done right! One suggestion is to put a coffin inside and have a zombie or a skeleton pop out of it. You could also string some lights around the edges. Or maybe you could dress it up like you're an undertaker and that's your grave yard work truck.

My trunk isn't that big, I'm driving a Honda Civic, but I might be able to get creative with it. I guess I'll wait until it gets closer to Halloween before thinking about decorating the car. I want to think of all the possibilities for decorating the house first. :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:50 pm

NeverMore wrote:
Here's that pickup truck Kolchak is talkin about...

Dang Son! We drive Fords down here! If I knew how I'd post a photo of my Raptor. It's just like me. Gorgeous AND Lethal :!: :!: 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted:

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:55 pm

BTW...

Rednecks are in Texas and Oklahoma. Georgia and Florida, we're called Crackers.