The Best Thinh You Ever Got In Your Trick or Treat Bag

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

The Best Thinh You Ever Got In Your Trick or Treat Bag

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi Folks:

A while ago, I asked everyone here what was the worst thing you ever got in your ToT bag. This time, I thought I would ask what was the best thing you ever got. For me, there were two great presents I got for ToT.

I know I told this story before, but years ago, when I was a kid, and it was Halloween, there was an elderly gentleman who everyone thought was a "bum." (A "bum" according to Mt. Greenwood lor, was a wearwolf like creature who lurked in old garages, not the homless guy) Anyway, I was dared to ring his doorbell, and I did it, because I didn't believe in it. My ToT was a 1 pound hershey bar with an envelope taped to it. That envelope contained a 10 dollar bill, quite a bit of money for an 8 year old kid back in 1968.

The second really great ToT I got was a rather decent styrophome model glider. I was in one of the ritzier parts of our neighborhood, and this box was tossed into my bag. It contained the plane, which had a small battery operated electric motor and a wired controll unit shaped like a flashlight. It required two size D batteries. I put in the batteries, and to my amadement, that plane actualy flew in circles as I held it over my head. Longer wires from the power unit to the plane was also available. I picked up a 20 foot wire at Wolworths the following Spring, and I was the envy of the neighborhood.

Those two Halloweens were the best ones of my childhood. I don't remember what happened to that plane.

So what was the best ToT you ever got?

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: The Best Thinh You Ever Got In Your Trick or Treat Bag

Post by Kolchak » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:52 am

Well...I'll tell you. When I was in college it was a tradition for the guys to go up to the girls dorms and ToT. You'd go from room to room and the girls would give you IF THEY LIKED YOU! One of their bras and or panties. And NO they were NOT WEARING them at the time. They would go out and buy bras and panties just for this occasion.

So I went along with some of my football teammates, and we were having a pretty good night. I stopped at a room of a girl I had gone out with a few times, and she was there and gave up her panties and bra. When we got finished ToTing, the custom was to return the "treats" to their rightful owners.

As I was going through my stash, I found the bra I had been given by the girl I had dated. In the bra was a letter from the young lady that said she really liked me and was hoping we would go out again.

Needless to say I asked her out again and again and again. Shes been my wife now over 30 years. How's that for trick or treating?

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Kolchak, that made me weepy, you bahstaad.

My trick or treating years were in the early 70's so many people gave out and it was okay to eat, home made goods.

Getting a big homemade popcorn ball was almost like magic.

I feel sorry for children today.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:07 am

Kolchak, that's a great story. Unfortunately I didn't go away to college and live in a dorm. I stayed with my parents and commuted to Joliet Junior College, and then to Governors State University. My ToT days ended as my last ToT for Halloween was when I was in 6th grade. When I got into 7th grade, I was too self-consience about my age to go ToT ing any more so I stopped.

Andy, we had a neighbor who made home made popcorn balls, and they are the best I ever had, even to this day. I really miss them. Even after I stopped ToT ing, she still cam over to the house to give me and my sister a couple because she was a close friend of our families. Then the disasterous Falll of 1977 came along. We moved to New Lenox, that neighbor stopped making popcorn balls because by then nobody was allowing their kids to eat anything home made any more.

That was the end to some of the best Hallowens I ever had.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:44 pm

I was a child of the 90's back when teenage mutant ninja turtles and power rangers were popular, to give a perspective.

So homemade treats by then I think were pretty much nonexistent, since by then the huge scare was around where kids could get poison or razor blades in their candy.

But I mentioned it before, and I think my favorite thing to get in a trick or treat bag was those French Fry vouchers from Burger King. I also have always been a huge fan of reeses so if I got those, I was pretty happy.

I never got anything significant like toys and such, though that would have been awesome to get a workable model plane. I was a bit of a tom boy growing up after all. lol.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:42 pm

That model plane was a fluke, and it wasn't what you would call 'state of the art' even by the standards of the day, but I was a little kid, and I thought it was great. I played with it all through November, and had if for quite a long time.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Kolchak wrote:Needless to say I asked her out again and again and again. Shes been my wife now over 30 years. How's that for trick or treating?
So tell us, in retrospect, did she turn out to be a treat? Or a trick? :wink:

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:07 am

My favorite Halloween was the year I got to be a Witch, my mom let me make the costume and the Halloween maze in our basement, I also made homemade popcorn balls, they were a big hit, I strung them up on strings and hung them from a tree, you had to figure a way to eat them with you hands behind your back!! I was 10 that year. Too much fun!!! :wink:

Kolchak that is very romantic , in a creepy kinda way!!! :wink:

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:15 pm

I remember dressing up as the Frankenstein Monster one year, Count Dracula another year, and a wearwolf another year. Those where fun costumes, but my favorite of all time was a costum I made all by myself. It was a robot costume. I wanted to do something other then those $1.50 things they sold at Zaer, so I threw together a few cardboard boxes, some dryer vent hoses, and rigged up some flash light bulbs and batteries and went ToTing as a robot. I won 1st place at the park house Halloween contest, too.

Mike

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

I remember full-size candy bars and cans of soda being the stuff dreams were made from.

This year, we're seriously considering handing out boxes of crackerjack. They have 'em at CostCo for $6 for 20 or something. It's cheaper than chocolate and there's a free toy inside! (Okay, a baseball team sticker, but still... yummy!)

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:24 pm

jadewik wrote:I remember full-size candy bars and cans of soda being the stuff dreams were made from.

This year, we're seriously considering handing out boxes of crackerjack. They have 'em at CostCo for $6 for 20 or something. It's cheaper than chocolate and there's a free toy inside! (Okay, a baseball team sticker, but still... yummy!)
I always seem to get the temporary tattoos with my Crakerjacks. :roll:
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:56 pm

It would be a prize within a prize Jadewik! Great idea.
Since we probably won't get a lot of Trick or Treaters this year, I probably won't buy a whole lot of candy. We only got one last year.
I can't imagine getting full sized candy bars for trick or treat. I always got the "fun sized" ones. I guess that's just what I associate with Halloween aside from the individual ones they sell shaped like Pumpkins (such as the Pumpkin Reeses) or Ghosts (like the Ghost shaped Twix bars I found at Dollar General.)
They sell little 8 oz cans of soda at the store. I'm sure it would be nice to get one to wash down all the candy. lol.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection