Kolchak
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Anyone do anything special for St Patty's day?

Post by Kolchak » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm

Boogeyman wrote:LOL. I love fish but absolutely refuse to cook it at all. All I have is a Foreman grill and I don't care to stink up my entire place. I either go out for fish get take out.

It amazes me how many people have Irish lineage. I saw something the other day that nine of the signers of the Declaration of Independence had roots in Ireland. Also half of the soldiers that fought in our Revolutionary war did as well. For such a small country they sure got around. The more I learn about Ireland and St. Patrick, the more I can appreciate the holiday. It is just a shame that most only see it as an excuse to get drunk and act like a fool once more.

Hey!!

I'll have you know I don't need an excuse to get drunk and act like a fool! My wife says I do it all the time!
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Btw....

Most of the "Irish" who signed the Dec., were actually Scotts-Irish. Meaning they were Protestants who had roots in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The only Irish Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence was Charles Carroll of Maryland.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:17 am

Yeah, that's a distinction that would really matter in Ireland, I think.

The only Irish ancestry I have is most likely of the Protestant variety, although it is just possible that there might be a southern Irish woman hidden in my genealogy. My very English ancestors had to flee to Dublin in the Napoleonic era because they were printing a newspaper the English government found revolutionary, and they stayed there long enough for a son to grow up and perhaps marry there. The son was a Methodist-Episcopal minister, though, so I'm not sure if he'd have married a Catholic.

One of my uncles was Ambassador to Ireland under JFK, so that branch of my father's family is sentimental about the place, since they lived there for a while.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:14 am

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this thread, but I did an Ancestry DNA test last year and discovered that I do, indeed, have some Irish ancestry, in Dublin, Limerick, and Cork, in addition to tons of Scotch-Irish up in the north. So I guess I can legitimately celebrate St. Patrick's, lol.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:59 am

Hope all who celebrate had a happy St Patrick's Day!

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Yes in fact, I can still taste the corned beef and cabbage.

Homemade and tasty. :)
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:36 pm

Sounds delicious!

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:29 pm

Our son's birthday is St Patrick's day, so (given his young age) we have cake and his little friends around. :-)
Halloween.com since 1994 - Chris

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 am

Oh, fun! Does he perchance have any Irish ancestry?

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:23 am

Murfreesboro wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 am Oh, fun! Does he perchance have any Irish ancestry?
Per 23andme, there is the "British and Irish" component there, yes (51.9% they say). I know there is British there based on where various great-X-...grandparents came from, and 23andme says there is also a "possible match" in Cork, Dublin and Wexford. So, in all likelihood, yes.

While it is cool now, I fear for him in college on St Patrick's day with all the temptation of SPD and his birthday. lol

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:41 am

Oh, well. Don't borrow trouble. I think all kids need to be educated to the dangers of alcohol poisoning, drinking and driving, minding their drinks at parties, etc. But some experimentation is to be expected. Just make sure he has respect for it, sets his own limits, and he'll be fine. :)

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:52 am

Murfreesboro wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:41 am Oh, well. Don't borrow trouble. I think all kids need to be educated to the dangers of alcohol poisoning, drinking and driving, minding their drinks at parties, etc. But some experimentation is to be expected. Just make sure he has respect for it, sets his own limits, and he'll be fine. :)

Agreed. And we have a lot of time. Lol